Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dads Sunstar

damon91

It came time to move My dads tractor from my Grandmothers shed where it has been sitting since 2010. I had drained the gas out of it several years ago and put some engine oil in the cylenders. When it came time to get it started again last week, it fired right up! This tractor has a 18hp briggs in it which seems like it could be rare, most of the ones I see have Kohlers. For some reason my dad had something against Kohlers, he didnt like them...

02149.jpg

02146.jpg

Still has the snow cab on, the last time it was used was winter. I have a 2 stage snowblower, deck and a grass bag.I had to rent a trailer to move it to a storage unit for now, my trailer isnt big enough. We are hoping to get a house with some acreage in the future, I miss running it.

02149.jpg.3f92700f93054edc98db5e1e1ad06789.jpg

02146.jpg.9d6f7291ca882f24fe2f28b4400ca24a.jpg

Nice looking rig dOd

I have 2 Duetz-Allis 1918's I got in the last year or so. I must say these have been consuming my time. I really like the bigger tractors. Dont know why with only an acre of land at home..? I would love to find the same cab & blower for mine.

Which Briggs does it have?

Looks like a very nicely kept unit. SO many of them look like they have been in a demo derby, people crashing into stuff and screwing up the hood. Nice tractor! The Briggs must be a repower.

quote:It might not be a repower. Simplicity sold some Sunstars with an 18 HP Briggs V-twin.id="quote">
id="quote">

I did not know that. Learn't sumthin' knew twoday.:o)

Yup...I believe the 1997 SS18s were Briggs powered. I have had two of them. Much smoother than a Command and easier in fuel IMO. Great machine!

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Nice looking rig dOdI have 2 Duetz-Allis 1918's I got in the last year or so. I must say these have been consuming my time. I really like the bigger tractors. Dont know why with only an acre of land at home..? I would love to find the same cab & blower for mine. Which Briggs does it have?

id="quote">
id="quote">As others have pointed out It has the 18hp vanguard v twin. I love the sound of this motor, it was nice to hear it running last week. My Dad bought this tractor brand new in the 90's so I know it is the factory origonal engine.

02155.jpg

I was able to get a pic of the snowblower for it

02154.jpg

02155.jpg.056a985a0ebd198199330f1222db6a4c.jpg

02154.jpg.251324a8b54d235ed08b52fe005cee6d.jpg

I have the same snow blower on my Deutz 1920 and they do a great job. Good luck with your Sunstar.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Yup...I believe the 1997 SS18s were Briggs powered. I have had two of them. Much smoother than a Command and easier in fuel IMO. Great machine!

id="quote">
id="quote">Would you know if they ever came with a 20hp briggs?

Originally posted by damon91
quote:
id="quote">Would you post a picture of the clutch and provide a model# for that engine. I would love to repower to a 23hp Vanguard. Checked the specs and it only weighs 77lbs?http://www.vanguardengines.com/engines/Big weight difference from my Kohler M20.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• ShaunE
    • SmilinSam
    • a_sannine
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts