Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

90's Landlord Tuff Torq/Hydrogear combo tranny

SmilinSam

Ressurecting a long dead 90's Landlord with a Tuff Torque tranny. What sort of oil does one use in these?( its clear or brown that in it), and Is it recommended to change the tranny filter? Its a small screw on type.

Manufacturer tag on tractor is missing, and engine was missing, so I don't have any numbers to look up a manual at the moment.

Tractor is a hand lever hydro with the Soveriegn type steering wheel on it, and a electric lift setup on it.

Kinda hard to tell what it is when its laying in pieces all over the shop:D

DSCN0406_zpse16dzvxi.jpg

DSCN0408_zps3ufzwkqb.jpg

Here's the tranny..

DSCN0407_zps0pc0jbmt.jpg

Heres the Broadmoor of same era that's getting used up for parts to fix the Landlord666666666

DSCN0409_zpstz3qkn6t.jpg

My lube chart says that it takes 10w30 engine oil. Either 100oz or 80oz depending on wheather it's a Tuff Tourqe K51 or a K61. (K51=80oz, K61=100oz)

Got to correct myself. I think its a Tuff torque transaxle and a hydrogear pump assembly. Have to get some info..

Sam

My Prestige hydro whines a lot when cold

I wanted to change to a oil that flowed better when cold

Dealer said it would not help

I then asked about filter

He said they do not recommend changing filter

I bought a filter that I did not use

put heater under tractor so oil was warm

you can have filter

and I realize your situation is different than mine

Service manual for the tranny calls for 20w50 motor oil , or 10x40 or 15w50 synthetic.

Wonder where you find 20w50?

Have to track down an oil filter for it too.

Sam for what its worth, at work we have Dextron trans fluid in some of our "cold" equipment. ie; piston type compressors, trans gearboxes, and transaxles. It lubricates well & flows in cold temps... Maybe the color you saw was dirty ATF..?

my2cents...value accordingly sm01

Well it actually states in the service manual that the factory fills them with 20w50. Goes on to say that 10w40 is acceptable for colder climates, and that would be easy to find around here.

This is what I am finding...

Sundstrand, Model BDU~21L, 16GT, Landlord, 1700 and 2700 Series Tractors. Filter # 1707873 No Longer Available

Have had no luck crossing it over using the Simplicity numbers, the Tuff Torq numbers on the old filter itself, or by the hydrogear model numbers on the transmission...

Thanks to Bob, I got a mfg# that will work for this tractor and the owners manual states to fill with 10W40 motor oil. That's good and easy to find.

The filter looks to be a SOL situation:(! though.

Unless I can take it off and find one same general diameters and thread size, I'll have to wait till one shows up on ebay or something.

Proabaly more to consider than just size though...

On my '98 Landlord with the hydrogear axle and pump the filter was also NLA, but was a different number. A local mower shop supplied me with a substitute genuine Hydrogear filter # 51563. So far no trouble.

Tuff Torq filter is either # 194856 86551 or 19485 86551Hard to see without taking filter off.Would be nice if those worked. Loads of them on Ebay...Update: Took filter off..

DSCN0421_zpsxq8h4uek.jpg

DSCN0422_zpsrcogy8av.jpg

gasket OD-2.485" ID- 2.168"Filter body OD- 3.012" Heighth- 2.682"

I use Valvoline VR1 20-50 in my old flat tappet cars and my Powermax. It's expensive compared to other brands of 20-50 which are also available at auto parts stores.

Ray, where did you get a cross for the 194856 86551 number? Everytime, and everywhere I type it in no matches come up. Even typed it in the links you provided and nothing...

These are a totally different tranny than the K series transmissions. No internal filters.

Contacted several area long time Simplicity and AC dealers. Only One said they showed one 1707873 filter in stock, but when they went to get it it was not there.

Then tried one of their other dealerships in Durant Il and they showed having 2. They are supposed to send one over here if its still there . Cost is about $30 for the filter providing its actually on the shelf...

In Dans link above it was already stated that neither Tuff Torq nor Simplicity could not come up with a cross reference...