Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
AC_B-1Novice

Is this a valid reply to this video?

AC_B-1Novice

"Great idea except you forgot the part where your engine is now hydro locked from the engine oil filling the cylinder. Then you go to crank it over and it locks up causes internal damage. Now that jack cost you an engine @900.00"

RayS

I think it is a brain dead comment.I lift mine like that at least twice a year to change blades. I never had a "hydro lock". You can get a chain fall from Harbor Freight for $20 and do the same thing and save a bunch of $.

rokon2813

LOL. I agree with Ray.

I've driven on steeper hills than that.

And BTW, on most vertical shaft engines, aren't the heads toward the front of the tractor? How is the oil possibly going to drain up hill into the cylinder ????

AC_B-1Novice

I used to do mine on a chain pull also but this made me wonder if I was just lucky or if this guy didn't supply a good post. It is always good to remember the old saying 'Be careful from which well of information you drink".

That is why I ask you guys for advice when in doubt. larry

dentwizz

The same reason the push mower engines are made with spark plug forward nowdays. It could be hung by the nose and not care since the oil would be all to the case not the head. Even if it was in the head end, aircraft radial engines do all the time. Just be gentle starting it and let it smoke out at first.

Simplicity7013H

The guy who made that reply has something wrong in his brain. How could it get "hydro locked" by oil "flooding the cylinder"? Umm, unless gravity has somehow changed, I believe things go down so, the oil would drain into the back of the pan not the cylinder because the head would be facing the front of the tractor.

GrincheyOne

To work on the 3000-6000 series machines, Simplicity gives explicit instructions on how to hoist the machines to "sit on their tush". sure

beats trying to gain height above ground to work on the drive train of

a 4200! Just ask "Fishnwiz"

GrincheyOne

Another trick, if you do have to Stand the engine "on it's head", is to reMove the spark plug, turn the crank to get the piston to TDC. the piston and rings will help to keep the oil contained. OH YEAH PUT THE PLUG BACK IN BEFORE LIFTING, TO PREVENT SEEPAGE FROM THE PLUG HOLE!

SmilinSam
quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

I like this lift but am to cheap to spend in the 250 range to get one.

id="quote">
id="quote">I got mine for about half that when Tractor Supply clearance them out and went to a different brand/style that was cheaper.

fishnwiz
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
id="quote">Now at 1/2 the price I would be all in.! Do they recommend draining oil from engine before lifting to full height?

BLT

If you look at a majority or all oil sumps, they centered and drain to the side. To get all the oil you would have to tilt the side opposite the drain to get it all. Raising it up on that jack before draining would not get it all.