Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BLT's tiny, in diameter, blue wire - Command

PhanDad

BLT made this comment in a recent post about safety interlocks:Mark, if that tractor has a Command, there's always the 'blue wire syndrome'.I made note of this about a week ago:"There is a tiny, in diameter, blue wire that when energized pulls in the starter solenoid and motors the starter. It has been a stinker in the Sunstars and Sovereigns of not having enough voltage to get the job done. A quick fix is installing a Bosch type relay to give the solenoid enough voltage to get the job done. As soon as I find my sketch, I post it."Bob,Please tell us more about this wire and where its located.Is this the wire you are referring to?

IMG_7702a.JPG

Or is it another wire somewhere?Maybe the wire from the key switch or dash mounted solenoid to the engine connector?

IMG_7702a.JPG.00ce78cbff756f03e3308c30746b8e50.JPG

The original blue wire from the engine connector is 18 gauge; what gauge wire do you recommend for the wire from the relay to the starter solenoid?

And is this more of an issue for a Sunstar than a Sovereign? (different wiring paths/lengths)

In my Command installs (replacing Triads in Sovereigns), I used a 14 gauge wire from the dash mounted solenoid to the engine connector (mates to the blue wire shown above). I figured 14 gauge is plenty heavy enough for the job. Do you agree?

BOB, can you send me a picture of your relay setup. Not a pencil drawing, but a picture of your actual setup. My friend is have a big problem with his.

Thanks Yukon

Since Bob can't provide a pic atm, here's some pics of the same type relay Bob used:

IMG_8416a.JPG

IMG_8417a.JPG

The wiring difference is I used the relay to interrupt the ignition "kill" ground from the Command "Low Oil Pressure Sentry" switch (the white wires). The red wire is the "start" wire and the black wire is the ground. I purchased a relay with mounting tab for better installation:

IMG_8410a.JPG

IMG_8411a.JPG

Although the tab isn't necessary, IMO a solid mounted relay is best. And Bob, you never confirmed the "tiny blue wire" is the wire shown in the first pic I posted in this thread. I figure it must be the one.

IMG_8416a.JPG.9ab92bfeea22b7f7658573cfea1b7f7c.JPG

IMG_8417a.JPG.f024adafbe8125a742e274c7ed747263.JPG

IMG_8410a.JPG.d7abbf151facb80afb74f02a0ce5900d.JPG

IMG_8411a.JPG.cae0face9bf2b151d2cce0b9ecce88dc.JPG