Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding a late model hydro lift to a 7016

drbrian722

As spring has sprung I'm starting on this season's tractor projects and the big one for me is building up a 7016. My 3416 that came with a busted shuttle was converted to a straight 3 speed, and now runs as a 6 speed. However, I'm wearing thin on all the gear changes and have softened to the idea of a sunstrand hydro. I've already acquired the drive train and chassis from a fellow member and it came with an electric lift like the one that is in my 3416. However, what I would like to do (if possible) is add the hydro lift from a 7114, et al. to the 7016. The Sunstrand on the 7016 is the earlier style and has the filter in front of the axle. I did a search, but came up empty. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

Thanks for any info that can be passed along.

I'd like to see a picture of your "7016"

"Filter in front of the axle" sounds more like a Vickers than a Sunstrand.

Early versions of the sunstrand had a remote filter tucked up between the BGB to trans sideplates. Later ones had the filter on the side where it can rub the tiller drive set-up.

It is possible, I have the parts but not the time :(. You will have to drill the frame and weld in a pivot bushing. user Rhubbard has a posting about what internal parts need to be added to the trans.

Check out this link found by searching "adding hydraulic lift", and checking the search archives box:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=109274&SearchTerms=adding,hydraulic,lift

Dan,

The 7000 series with Sunstrand hydro had remote filer between the frame plates. I don't have a pic, but here's a post where it was discussed:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=65022

And 7100 series hydrolifts have been installed on 7000 series tractors.

I believe HubbardRA was the first to write it up, but ATM I can't find the post.

It is possible as stated on Facebook you will need to godrill a 1" hole in the frame like on the 7100 series and make sure you get the shims and springs or order them from a dealer.

If you're interested, I'm going through the same thing. I have an excel sheet that lists all the P/N and some costs. Though, if you're serious...jump on over to the facebook, look up the simplicity/allis page, and find Dan Lonnen's post about the complete hydrolift set-up. If I didn't already have everything necessary, I would have been all over it.

Only thing you'll have to do is figure out the bushing to mount the lift lever in. I bet he can help with that too. He gave me a bolt-on clutch pedal mount for my project (he's a good guy) to use...5/8" bore, just like the shaft for the lever. I think it came of a B1 or its simplicity twin (700?).

FWIW, I'm into my set-up just under 300 bucks (287 to be exact), and I'm fabricating the cylinder support, and modifying some other stuff to work. I plan on doing a nice, photo-intensive write-up when I get it complete...but I'm waiting on the valves for the transmission. Jack's small engine says they will be in their warehouse on the 25th, and then its a couple day turn-around to my house. Hopefully I'll get some free time to install everything in the near future...

Why not take the "good" stuff off from the 7016 and put it into the 7114, which must already have the hydro with hydraulic lift.

Take the good 16hp out of the 7016 and put it into the 7114 would be the simplest.

I have a hydraulic lift in a AC 710. I used the bolt on sleeve similar to what is used on the end of the snowthrower spout turner shaft. I don't know where I got it from.

Thanks for the link!

The fact that he had a float position in his build makes it MUCH more appealing. As I'm sure anyone who's used a FDT hydro lift vs. RBT hydro lift knows. This gives me some good information and some things to think about.

I know the FB one is a good price, but I'll probably pass on it as I have other priorities I need to deal with first.

I don't have a 7114, I was just using that ID hypothetically. In the past I had a very nice DA 916 with the hydro lift and it just feels too big to me. The 34xx/70xx size just feels right. It's probably just in my head, but the 71xx seem twice the size to me.

Thanks for the help!