Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wandering Choke Knob

MikeES

The choke on my 7119 will not stay open. While operating the tractor the choke knob slowly comes out (choke is slowly closing). I have to push the choke knob back in every few minutes. The tractor never goes to full choke, but you can start smelling that it is running rich. This all started after changing the carb. This carb does not seem to have the detent that holds the choke butterfly open.

I am looking for ideas on how to modify the choke/choke lever/choke cable to hold the choke knob in place.

The only thing I can think of is to wrap something (a fine wire) around the choke shaft between the carb body and the choke lever to create a wedge effect that would create the friction to hold the choke lever in place. This may be just temporary.

Anything I could do to the choke cable or knob?

What about the casing. Is it positioned correctly. That's a problem I have with Briggs if I don't do it right.

Sounds like there's not enough friction to keep the choke butterfly from operating the cable. Kind of like the dog wagging the tail or how a wheel can make the steering wheel spin if the wheel hits a curb.

A. Have you checked for proper cable operation, i.e. the outer spiral remains stationary as you operate the inner wire. Check that both ends remain stationary. That may mean getting inside the mouse hotel. However at the operator end make note of whether the base moves, that silver bezel on the dash under the knob.

B. Stop oiling the cable. so much, :D just kidding.

C. Route the cable so that it has a tighter radius somewhere along its length.

D. Install a shim of sorts between the clamping mechanism that fixes the outer spiral of the cable so that when the screw is snugged up it places additional force on the outer spiral, thus pressing the outer spiral against the inner wire.

E. Put a kink in the cable sheath.

F. Use a Vise-Grip to swish the end of the cable casing, turning it from a O to a 0. If you get too much friction, move the 'Grip 90° and un-flatten it a bit. If this works you've fixed it for free. If it really buggers up the cable, get a new one. A new cable may fix the problem of too little friction. Your cable may just be old and worn out.

Some very good suggestions. My cable housing is verysecured and not moving, and yes the wire inside moves real easy, and at least I have never oil it. Crimpping the discharge end is a good idea if it can be done. I thought of trying to put some kind of kink in the cable but that would be a one shot that you can put back.

So Tommy I am going to try your idea if crimping, but not on the end. I will try to hammer/smash a flat spot in the cable housing, and I can do this for an inch or more if needed to create the friction .

PS Goat, I tried a spring already but the choke knob flys back in, and the Kohlers being very cold blooded need to operate with the choke partially out for several minutes, and I am too impatient to wait and not coordinated enough to steer and hold the choke at the same time.

I have had a similar symptom with throttle cables on the 4212s. I have tried a center punch on the pivot rivet without any luck.Still looking for a solution to a drooping throttle lever.

I have both the slippy cable on throttle and self choking choke. Answer is put it in the closed position and kink the housing to make drag and detent. For the throttle, put it in the run position and do the same thing.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Thanks for the advice. ..will try the kinky thing.:D

id="quote">
id="quote">What will your wife say when she finds out?:D

Wasn't able to squash the cable housing and create enough friction. Wasn't able to kink the cable (funny how easy they kink when you don't want it).

So I tried Goat's suggestion and hooked up a spring. dOd It works great! I have to hold the choke knob out for full choke, but I soon as I let go it returns about 1/2 way (perfect for warm up), and I have to push it all the way in and it stays in. Did some mowing today and it used a lot less fuel. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

They make cables that will tighten with about a 90 degree turn. I had one as a choke cable on a car at one time. Get one, then you can push it in and lock it there.

An ebay search should turn one up.