Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

The 3112H Restore

Recommended Posts


Well, as most of you probably know my 3112 is "repainted". Well, I have some regrets about the way I did the tractor. I was anxious to get it going and I just use spray bombs with all the parts still on the tractor and sprayed. The paint is now looking bad and starting to chip. I never even took off the side panels when painting. I'm going to DO IT RIGHT this time. I only spent $30 on paint and $60 on parts. So, I'm not concerned about costs(yet:D). I will keep this thread updated as I progress in the restore. Thanks Guys!:)


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

TODAYS UPDATE...id="blue">id="size4">

Today, I started stripping down the tractor. I locked up the shop at 9:00 PM here is what I accomplished today:

  • Remove Grille, Fenders, and Dash
  • Removed Engine and Gas Tank shelf
  • Cleaned mouse nests in the frame and removed drive shaft
  • Removed BGB yoke and loosened BGB bolts
  • Removed BGB bolts and Dropped the rear end
  • Cleaned up the shop

~I will post pictures tomorrow~id="red">id="size4">

Thanks, Elliott

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are tonight's accomplishments:

Remove ft. tires Remove ft. axle & foot rests Remove steering drag link Remove lift rod (very time consuming... and a lot of hammering) The pictures:Frame striped except for steering gears and lift shaft





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well almost a week with no update but I have been busy with finals and the tractor too. Well, as I said I was probably going to shoot some primer last weekend and I did. The tractor is all sanded and primed. I have pictures but the PC isn't handy right now and I took the pictures wit the camera. Tonight, I sanded the primer with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and I plan to give the tractor 2 coats of each color. I'm using Rusoleum Almond and Ace Allis Orange. REVIEW: I used the harbor freight HVLP gun to spray primer and if you thin the primer enough, It shoots primer really good. I know some of the reviews on the website said that it was "no good for primer". I think it works good. Uses very little air. The compressor only has to kick on 1 or 2 times. (11 gallon tank) Since school is over, I will be working full time one the tractor in the next few weeks. Already have about 39-42 hours into it and it is sure paying off!!:). Thanks, Elliott

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep!! I do wear a respirator. dOd. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I will paint some orange on the tractor. This next week will be really nice so I hope to put about 30 hours into it and get it almost done. I have put about 50 ish hours into this project I'm in not regretting it. Have about almost $120 in paint and prep supply's so far. I have about $150-200 yet to spend yet.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, today I got the first coat on all of the orange parts. I dug out our pop-up spray booth which is made of PVC pipe and painters plastic. Works really good and keeps particles(and bugs) out of my paint. I don't have a paint booth so this is a really good alternative. I have 2 runs that I need to sand out before I can give it another coat. By tomorrow night, the orange should (but probably not) be done. Wednesday (if Im on schedule) I will paint some of the white. P.S. I couldn't get the lift shaft out:INow for the pictures:A couple of them are still from the primer stage













Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

TODAY'S UPDATE:id="blue">id="size4">Today was another good day for painting so I got coat two of two on the orange paint. Parts are now drying in the garage. Tomorrow, I will paint the dash, side panels, grille frame sides and the rims. Probably will be done sometime next week. I am currently sitting at 60ish hours (I'm also very tired from working such long hours but, I enjoy doing that). The hard work is really paying off. Even though it's not finished I just love to look at the shine on that paint:DdOd:D Here are today's pictures:I painted more parts than whats pictured. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to take pictures. And no that's not runs on the side of the hood. It's masking tape





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I painted all the white parts and the black parts. I cleaned the transmission but didn't repaint the whole thing. I just repainted the rear of it. Started reassembly of it yesterday at 8:30 AM and finished at 1:30. I waited 4 days for the paint to cure before I put it back together. Here is a picture of the white parts/ fenders


Starting to look like a tractor again:D


Engine is in


Reconnecting my homemade wiring harness


AND VIOLA!!!! She is finished with about 75 hours into it!!:D:d:)dOd:J


More final pictures coming soon.






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • Ronald Hribar
    • PhanDad
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Carchief
      (57 years old)
    2. Geoff
      (56 years old)
    3. mohrds
      (51 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • SonOfCreepfeed


      Thinkin' about this old girl.

      · 2 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts