Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sovereign hydro drive not smooth?

maxwood

Hello, I have a 7117 that I repowered with a Predator 22HP engine.

When driving along It is fine when I go to slow down or reverse the tractor is very jerky . It doesn't transition from stopped to forward without jerking your neck. When I puchased this tractor it had a blown KT17 And the early style Power steering had been removed. I was wondering if the hydro pump had more pressure to satisfy the power steering. I had the plow blade on it, and it would lift the front wheels off the ground. I have 2 other sovereigns they wont do that!

Are there some shims that could be removed that would lower the hydraulic pressure?

Thanks Ken in Mi

first how is the oil level and filter. Also did the drive shaft and adapter match up ok, they wouldn't be creating a hesitation in transfer of power? The other thing is on the pivoting plate, which has the neutral mark under the rear fender, make sure it is lined and adjusted for neutral, then lube it well with silicone spray or even better a light oil like 3 in 1, this helped me on my sovereign. I lubed the whole linkage too.

Have checked the 6 bolts that fasten they side plates to the bfb? Also the 4 bolts that hold the bgb to the frame? They can cause this if loose.

There is a spring box on the hydro control rod under the seat. This is supposed act like a cushion. If this spring box is bound up and does not move you will get quicker/jerkier reaction. Some people like this positive reaction and put washers in the spring box to eliminate the spring action.

Check the spring box and lube it, and lube everything else like trunkin88 suggested, I even have some grease on the lever where it rubs against the quadrant (it makes a big difference in the smoothness).

Hello, today I checked all the bolts& lubed all the linkage. When I did the repower I nstalled new filter and trans fluid. I did it on a Sunday, and Napa was closed. So I went to autozone .The filter they said was a match was a STP brand S16 ? So today I bought a napa Filter 1335 and The tractor is much better, I can go from a stop without jerkiness! Thanks for all the Help!!

Thanks Ken in Mi

Ken,

If I remember correctly, you can't use a "better" filter (smaller micron filtration) since the filter is on the suction side and a fine micron filter restricts flow too much. That might have been your issue.