Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
fishnwiz

Regency drive belt repair

fishnwiz

Today I had one of my clients drop off a early 2000 14hp Regency tractor for a drive belt replacement.

I was prepared to mess around dropping the front PTO as required on some of the older model tractors but upon further investigation I found that I could change out the belt without dropping the PTO but I would need to drop the steering shaft of all things to get the new belt on!

What a crappy design this was on this tractor.Dropping and reinstalling the steering shaft by yourself is no easy task. First off you need to get the front of the tractor pretty darn high off of the ground in order to gain enough clearance for the steering shaft to slide all the way out.Secondly ,it was no easy task getting the shaft back into the shaft opening all the while holding the shaft in place with the one hand on the bottom end of the tractor and guiding the shaft through the dash opening on the top of the tractor with the other.....If you have short arms your screwed! What a PITA. When I finally did get the shaft lined up with the dash opening I used a plastic spring clamp to hold the shaft in place while I reinstalled the C clip that holds the shaft in place.

Is it me are the simplest jobs in theory the hardest job to complete? sm00

GrincheyOne

Be Honest Mark,

How many expletives have you uttered or yelled while changing drive belts on 4200s or their predecessors and adjusting the belt stops?

Now you know why I favor the 1 ton chain hoist. "Hang 'em High!"sm06

A good example among Utube vids are those by MBYR31. The classic is when he received his 16GTH, and had to change the drive belt! NOT rated for youth viewing!