Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

Broadmoor 717 key switch

dhoadley

I got my 717 runningdOd (victory laps around the driveway!!!:D) but I have a question about the key switch. Its got a single connector for a wire, but no wire. I push the starter button and its starts up, push the throttle down to dead low and it dies. Am I ok the way it is or am I in danger of melting something/ killing the battery/ starting a fire? Thanx, Dave

bud119195

Should have a wire that connects to a small nut anb bolt by the govenor linkage that has a wire connected to it from the points.Wire will short the points when you turn switch off to short the points and shut engine off,

dhoadley

That wire is bolted to the bottom of the throttle plate where my cable end is. It looks like its grounding out when I shut the throttle all the way down. Acceptable? Thanx, Dave

steve-wis

The setup you have is used when there is no switch or key to kill the engine. My 627 has this setup. As long as it is working, you should have no problem with it. I would assume maybe there was an engine swap on your tractor somewhere along the way, or at least the carb and governor linkage hookup was changed.

Steve

dhoadley
quote:Originally posted by bud119195

If you run a wire from switch to that point it should ground out with switch.

id="quote">
id="quote">That should be easy enough. Thanx, Dave