Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro filter vs oil filter

isetta

2007 bought a "restored" Simplicity 4041. It ran well but always whined when I raised the deck. Speed of tractor was ok so just thought I needed to adjust something but never did. Checking hydro oil level today before mowing and it was good but looked at the filter which had been painted over when the guy painted the chassis and thought hmmmm was it the right one....decided to put a new one on. A new Napa Gold 1307 and wow deck raises quicker and no whine, no sound at all. I bet it runs cooler and gets better mileage ta boot!

Had a Fram on my old 720 years ago and it was doing what yours was doing. Changed it to the Napa and the problems went away.

We had some discussions in here on Fram Filters and their restrictive properties after they added the black hand grips to their filters...

Thanks Sam, seems like those discussions were tractors that would not move well. Mine didn't have that problem but does seem to go just a little faster now in addition to being quiet while using the lift cylinder. I suppose it's possible that mine was the right filter but just old and clogged.

Yes but I think you guys are missing the matter of the Micron filtering abililities and importance of a good filter. I can tell you that all filters are from from the same even if made by the same company. At one point Wix made their filter plus Amsoil, Carquest, and Napa! Out if all of those Amsoil was the best followerd by Wix, Carquest, and Napa was and is still a pile of crap. Last I checked filtration abilities wise was ( top five) Amsoil, Mobil 1, Wix, Hastings, And Carquest are the top 5 filters to buy! I can't remeber the exact order of the 3rd,4th, and 5th but I can tell you the other to are in the correct location!

WIX is owned by Dana. They make there own filters and for NAPA. I believe CARQUEST is WIX as well. I will keep buying the WIX, Baldwin and Hastings filters. Amsoil is made by Baldwin. You just get to spend three times the price to have them do it.

Yes but there is a difference in Micron filtration.

Wix, Baldwin, and Hastings are good filters and they make most other filters.

I'm not sure who makes Amsoil now days as it has been made by Hastings at one point wix and perhaps it's Baldwin now.

Agreed but the nano technology Amsoil uses is suppose to help with that problem and I do know the company is very honest about the quality of the products and recommending a correct course of action.

(Amsoil suggested Ingersollrand oil for my shop compressor do to the free extended warranty if factory oil was used and that Ingersolrand compressor oil was as high a quality as Amsoils and perhaps better just twice as much. Any company that tells me that is 5 star in my opion.)

I currently haven't tried an Amsoil filter as I have a Simplicity on my 912h and a Wix on my 7112h I have not contacted Amsoil for a Wix cross reference but there is no listing or cross reference for a Simplicity. It's very possible they don't have an option for us for the reasons you stated above. I will be doing further research though for my 916h.

Also has anybody tried tapping a block and installing a remote pump and filtration system for our engines?

I just put a hydro filter on a loader. Got it from Surplus Center who told what the micron level was and which to use if you were putting on the return or supply side. Not as easy to find that information with oil filters.

I have one tractor with a new Napa on the hydro and one left outside tractor with an ancient, marked as a hydro filter to compare. The old filter tractor has been quiet as can be since I got it. We'll see what Napa does.

Just my 2 cents, having been one of those who had the FRAM trouble on my 720 when purchased years ago.

On the Powermax series, the hydro filter is on the suction side of the pump and must have larger mesh size compared to a pressure side filter.

Any extra resistance in that filter tends to starve the main pump and would cause noises (Cavitation) and loss of power / speed.

I found a post from this site back in 2003 with info on the Napa Gold 1307 indicating it was an acceptable choice for the Powermax hydro. I still have not seen any specification listing the micron size for the Napa.

Smilin Sam himself wrote of his experience almost exactly as mine. New Napa 1307, much quicker response to the lift lever

"It did make a noticable difference in the way the the hydraulic lift operated as far as speed went..."

http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19507

Product Specifications

Part Number: 51307

UPC Number: 765809513075

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube/Transmission

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 3.812 (97)*

Outer Diameter Top: 3.663 (93)*

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:

Thread Size: 3/4-16

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20

Burst Pressure-PSI: 300

Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating: 15

Operating Temp. (min): 0

Operating Temp. (max): 0

Capacity: 0

Filter Area: 0

I use the Napa filters on all my tractors and they all seem to be fine, the last one I bought had a fram filter and it seemed very slow put the Napa filter on and was way better

Has anybody noticed this to be a problem with the simplicity filters?

My 912h is very sluggish (Simplicity filter) pand the 7112h with a Mapa is very crisp and responds quickly.