Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel economy 912h!!?

hurleyii

Just a random question/statement but I've rebuilt my carb and I'm getting excellent fuel economy in my opinion on my 912h.

One tank of gas seems to be mowing my 1.5 acres minus my house garden and woods. That's much better then my old Kawasaki deers. Both took a bit more.

I'm getting a black smoke after I shut it off for a bit and do a restart which leads me to believe I'm running rich still. Perhaps not letting it idle down long enough before shutting it off? Any ideas or personal experience would be great as I'm thinking of leaning it out a little more. Whats the signs of running to lean?

Sounds like its using too much fuel. That's a fairly large fuel tank. I would think you should be able to cover 2 acres of grass (normal height) before running out of fuel.

My experience is that the Old Briggs get more work done/gal of fuel than the Kohlers, and the KT twins are better than the K singles.

The RBTs hold about 3 gals of fuel. I mow over 3 acres with a lot of trees so there is a lot of back and forth while not cutting grass. I use about 1/2 tank (1.5 gal) to mow the whole lawn, with a 917H and 48" deck.

Years ago I mowed with a HB212 Briggs 48" deck or a 712H Kohler 42" deck, the HB212 used about 2/3 fuel as the 712 to do the same work.