Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 243431 Help

tomhill

Hi Folks,

I am freshening the 10HP Briggs on my Landlord 2210 and I have run into a problem aligning the timing marks on the cam and crank.

As I am sure you all are aware, the Briggs 243000 has a ball bearing that obscures the gear on the crankshaft that the camshaft meshes with. I have reviewed several of the manuals and I haven't found a satisfactory explanation of what marks to use.

There is no mark on the crankshaft counterweight. I see a U shaped mark near the crank journal and I see a "chisel" mark on the side of the crank.

I can also see the mark on the camshaft and it has been marked with paint on the opposite side.

Can anybody explain how to set the timing? I don't want to get the engine back together and find out I did something wrong.

Thanks in Advance,

Tom

If you clean the gears with brake cleaner, a grease pen should work to mark the tooth needed. Mark it both sides of the gears, then you can look whatever angle you need to.

The timing marks are on the sides of the gears themselves right by the teeth. they are a small dot punched in the metal. if you use something to highlight the dots and corresponding teeth it makes it easier to see when ligning them up. the dots should lign up with eachother when the corresponding teeth are meshed.

I believe the crank has a vertical mark stamped on the throw and the cam has a dot stamped in between two teeth. You mate the two marks and you are in time.

I found this.