Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

Stripes!! .... uh, stripes?

dhoadley

Well, I will call it a moral victory, though the photos are quite underwhelming. This all started when I bought 2 Broadmoors (728, 707) with one deck and one plow for $175. I had hoped to make a working lawnmower for my 1/2 acre. That purchase led me to this site over 2 years ago. I bought the 4108 as a temp to tide me over until I got one Broadmoor working. I bought a third (717) for $100 that ran but needed a battery. This weekend I got the 717 running, deck in place and cut the grass. The blades look to be the originals and haven't been used in a decade or two. They could use a sharpening. The grass ain't no great shake, either. I aimed at stripes and wound up with this.

P5230725.JPG

P5230726.JPG

I have several issues. (not the least being that I am the king of unfinished projects) It has no brakes. The band at the drum has broken. I have a good one on the parts tractor and it looks like an easy swap. The deck spindles sound dry. Is there a grease zerk for these? The steering is abysmal. A ton of play between the steering wheel and the drag link. The parts tractor's seems to be better so I'll be swapping those out as well. The journey continues. Thanx, Dave

P5230725.JPG.fbe973b6816a42240c4eefd23eda83c3.JPG

P5230726.JPG.aea36315c65db5b51de2ef36b8f8e179.JPG

skot71

There should be grease zerks on the spindles on the underside of the deck. While the deck is off to grease it, sharpen the blades. :) Is your deck mowing uneven? Not sure what I'm looking at in the last pic. I have a 727 and an Allis B-208, which is real similar. On my 208, there is a bolt that will loosen over time in the steering. If you look where the drag link comes out on the left (as viewed from the seat) side, there is a gear that the link is attached to. Use a 9/16" wrench to tighten the bolt above this gear. On my 727 that I have a snowblower on, I got a lot of steering play towards the end of winter. If you look from the left again, where the drag link is, there is a bolt that holds down the shaft that comes down from the steering wheel. It goes through the bottom of the frame to a locking nut. I had to wedge a wrench (9/16, I think) against that bolt and tighten the nut from below. I hope all this makes sense. I could take some pics tonight if you need me to. Good luck with your small frames, they are workers and mow great once adjusted right!

dhoadley
quote:Originally posted by skot71

There should be grease zerks on the spindles on the underside of the deck. While the deck is off to grease it, sharpen the blades. :) Is your deck mowing uneven? Not sure what I'm looking at in the last pic. I have a 727 and an Allis B-208, which is real similar. On my 208, there is a bolt that will loosen over time in the steering. If you look where the drag link comes out on the left (as viewed from the seat) side, there is a gear that the link is attached to. Use a 9/16" wrench to tighten the bolt above this gear. On my 727 that I have a snowblower on, I got a lot of steering play towards the end of winter. If you look from the left again, where the drag link is, there is a bolt that holds down the shaft that comes down from the steering wheel. It goes through the bottom of the frame to a locking nut. I had to wedge a wrench (9/16, I think) against that bolt and tighten the nut from below. I hope all this makes sense. I could take some pics tonight if you need me to. Good luck with your small frames, they are workers and mow great once adjusted right!

id="quote">
id="quote">I felt around one spindle and didn't find any zerks. The bottom of the hill, in the foreground of the second pic, was quite overgrown. The deck cuts evenly, as far as I can tell. That hole where the drag link mounts looks wallowed abit. I'll be digging into it this weekend. Thanx, Dave

GrincheyOne
quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

That's a good first run. It's nice you have a parts machine too.

id="quote">
id="quote">Everyone needs one, or two, or... (ask Josh).sm00

OrangeMetalGuy

Those bearings are sealed (if your deck is like mine) and the grease fittings only serve to fill the arbor with grease to prevent rust. They aren't designed to lube the bearings.

If the bearings are really dry, they'll need to be replaced.

dhoadley

Swapped out and adjusted the brake shoe band. Stops great! (I'm a big fan of brakes^) Took the deck off, scraped it clean and found that the one arbor nearest the exhaust chute is missing the zerk fitting. No threads either so I guess I'll have to do without. Greased the other two and the rest of the tractor. Sharpened the blades and put it back together. Cuts and runs fine. The steering still needs to be addressed. The part that bolts down to the frame with the set of teeth and the draglink arm is sloppy and the bolt and nut are frozen. I shot some PB Blaster at it and I'll dig into the parts tractor to get an idea of what I'm getting into before I start tearing the dash tower apart next weekend. I also have a question about the Hi-Lo. In Hi I can lift the frontend off the ground. In Lo, turtles laugh at me as they go by. Is something slipping and in need of adjustment or is that the way its supposed to be? Lo first would be good for rototilling if you had the time (and the attachment!). Thanx, Dave

GrincheyOne
quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

Those bearings are sealed (if your deck is like mine) and the grease fittings only serve to fill the arbor with grease to prevent rust. They aren't designed to lube the bearings.If the bearings are really dry, they'll need to be replaced.

id="quote">
id="quote">I have run across several cases of spindles, where the POs have replaced zerks with cap screws (thus, messing up the threads).Opened up spindles to Pour the moisture out.If the spindle does have a zerk, Be careful to not add grease (via gun) to the point where you would damage the seals on the bearings.I prefer to hand pack them when replacing bearings with a good marine grade grease, or a white lithium (available at NAPA).dOd

Sign in to follow this