Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Are these decks scrap metal?

rich_kildow

I bought a 916 over the winter and ended up with a green 42" deck and an orage 48" deck. Both of them are beat up and in rough shape. I would consider the spindles to be in need of a total rebuild, including bearings and media blasting the housings.

The big issue is the areas where the deck has rusted/eroded away around the spindles, in addition to the easy-to-fix flat areas. I'll get some pictures of them up tonight but I am leaning towards them being beyond repair.

That being said, what parts are worth pulling and saving for my good 48" or refinishing for resale? I see refinished deck covers on ebay and I was eyeing up the mounting brackets, but do any of these have any real demand from people?

I usually don't bother fixing decks whne the rustouts are near the spindle platforms.

As tp parts worth saving, based on stuff I frequently re-use, I save rollers, good roller bars, heighth adjusters, idler assemblies, spindle shafts, housings, pulleys.

When I was selling parts I generaly just scrapped the rust shells as well as the deck covers unless the covers had good clean paint on them and were straight. Never saw a big demand for deck covers. Rock guards however were always sellable.

Hello, I recently rebuilt a 48 in deck I welded the cracked and added bent 18 gauge sheet meal to the underside of the center spindle area new bearings and new upper bearing housings.It works great .Thanks Ken in Mi

Mower deck rebuild 2 001.JPG

mower deck rebuild 2 002.JPG

mower deck rebuild 2 003.JPG

mower deck rebuild 2 004.JPG

57e0616e032f0_Mowerdeckrebuild2001.JPG.f049e670ff1e7059f360715861c0810b.JPG

57e0616e1cb07_mowerdeckrebuild2002.JPG.730c242da7143133576b0643b53e1946.JPG

I agree with everything Sam said.

I've sold a couple bare deck pans, but don't get much for them, and they are not worth anything once shipping costs are added.

Not much call for them locally. I have sold a few sets of covers though, not often and also not worth much after shipping costs.

If you do part them out, I need a good roller bar for my 48" deck, the end roller and the bar portion is snapped off the left side of my deck. Mie

If I could find good arbor mount areas(the deck part not the bearing holder) I would buy them to weld onto my 48". I just had to fork it out to get a new center shaft too since the other one cracked the blade flange off.

If I found one in the local parts yard I would have bought it just to cut out those parts, cuz I'm with Maxwood. :)

I like to save a couple of shells around then if I have another deck that is rusting in an area that is good on an otherwise rusty deck I can cut out the good on the scrap deck to fix the better deck.

I like to save a couple of shells around then if I have another deck that is rusting in an area that is good on an otherwise rusty deck I can cut out the good on the scrap deck to fix the better deck.

Here is a slide show of what I have.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/rich_kildow/slideshow/Beat%20up%20Simplicity%20decks

The 42" is toast. Multiple areas already welded with more cracking and tearing. One blade is welded to the spindle instead of bolted.

The 48" is rusting through the spindle mount areas and has some pretty significant rusting in the front right corner?

I don't know that these are worth the effort. I'm thinking pull any good roller, pulleys, spindle shafts, mounting arms, and adjusters off both and send them on for scrap. Any input?

Don't waste your time at the scrap yard! Save or garbage, scrap is down to less then a 100.00 a ton so unless you got a few small blocks to haul in and some rotors trash can or collect it!

Out here in Washington the EPA IS STOPPING people from using wood stoves in the most populated counties. I went with a friend to turn in his wood stove, scrap is .02 a pound $40 dollars a ton. Isn't worth hauling down there.

Don't scrap your wood burner just because of some dictatorship!

If our country is getting to the point you can't support your family without the corporations!

I say to them and I quote!!!! " Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon!!! If they mean to have a war let it start here!!!!!"

Call on the Oath keepers and the militias ( We the People )for help!

Sorry for the political rant I know it's not allowed but I've had it up to my eyeballs in all my hard-work flying out the window to one corporation or the other. It's why I got into these garden tractors trying to get away from over priced groceries!

Hello, I looked online , and found you could buy a new deck shell for only $526.00 !!

Thanks Ken in Mi

I might just have to get someone to make a plate/cap to weld on to the deck to make the mount holes good...