Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7112h mowed first time great!!

hurleyii

Well this was my last falls pick up that I had gotten running but had no tiller hitch so ok attachments to test it under work!

It did a great job mowing and the clutch was not as loud engaging as far as belt noise as the 912h , also seems like it more wheel travel then the 912 is that possible!

I only had two problems, the steering seem to be sticking lightly randomly, and the tires seem to break loose more then the 912h.

Tire patter is same and condition is same or very close except the 912 seems like the tires sit flatter and the Simplicity always looks over pressured!

The steering spindles have been disassembled and cleaned and greased nicely already, steering colom has not been rebuilt yet. Any suggestions on my two problems?

Also I am in need of 3 gas tank strap complete steel band and the rubber band .

I will post that tomorrow in the classifieds!

Thanks for everything guys and I hope everybody had a great weekend last week now that I've thought of it!

Make sure the front tires, or the rears are not over inflated. 12-15 lbs is where they should be. That can affect the traction. The other may have to do with the differential. The less wear, the tighter they can be, thereby affecting the turning a bit.

On my 7114H I sprayed some silicone lube on the rubber bushing that surrounds the steering shaft, accessible from just above the collar that sits on the dash plate, and that helped free up my steering allot.

I know there have been a number of folks on this site that have done the "poor mans power steering" modification by replacing their front steering spindle washers with roller bearings, that also apparently makes a big improvement in turning efficiency.

Here's a link to that post I believe, or you can search "poor mans power steering" to get more info. Good luck !

http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=143744&SearchTerms=poor+mans+power+steering

Well I have bad news, after mowing for about 45 min.

I shut down for the day and when I checked the oil tonight it was fine until I wiped it off the dipstick! The metal was so fine under the oil it didn't even come off with the first wipe! So I guess this one will be needing a rod and crankshaft !

Oh well I can't complain for 50.00 plus gas that it actually cost me to pick it up last fall!

Possible old issue that wasn't cleaned out? I've seen that fine particulate effect from engines that had history but were rebuilt. Once cleaned out they could be fine if the issue does not persist.

I tried ATF with a short low rom run time and I thought it was cleaned out but it came back with a vengeance! As the carb was completly frozen and the head was rusted inside behind the carb! I'm assuming the person that I got it off of didn't bother to poor oil down the cylinder walls before trying to get it running. I can't even say I did as he showed me the engine cranking over, I don't think I thought if it! Also it sounds like it's got a rod nocking!