Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck question

Horvik

Hey;

I have a 48" on a 3416 H, and the one outer blade is not spinning, just the two are.

Is there an easy way to fix it?

Thanks

It sounds like you could have a frozen bearing in one arbor. It also could be one of the blades is loose and not locked into the detent /spindle on the arbor base. Can you see if the top end pulley is spinning with the deck engaged? I do not recall if that arbor setup has a key in the top end pulley or not.

would think there would be a lot of squeling and smoke if bearing froze. would look a blade loose or pulley. just my $.02

FYI..I have seen a frozen pulley not squeal at all but the pulley itself was actually worn lopsided and glazed from the belt running on it. One would think the belt would smoke or melt but that was not the case on two different decks from the past.

I also found a similar situation with the drive pulley on a Broadmoor I just worked on last week. The drive belt itself was slipping for some time and I could not figure out why I did not fix the issue by installing a new belt. The actual drive pulley was severely worn and glazed from the belt slipping on it for a length of time. I never once thought about pulley wear being an issue.

One of the most forgotten items is the mower deck pivot arm. If the bushing noted is not lubed, the arm will not function. The idler when running is pretty lively and when seized you the belt will slip. I had a friend take an arm of mine to his work place to get a bushing out for me and he said it took a 10 ton press to get it out. The pivot is atypical of all the three arbor decks.

Mower_belt_pivot _arm.jpg

Mower belt pivot pic.jpg

Thanks for the help. I'll have to pull the deck and get to work.For what it's worth, I checked the spring idler and looked okay back when I put the deck on for cutting. . Will get back with you then.

Hello...

Found out that the idler was indeed frozen. Used heat to get it out, then brushes it real good and used white grease on it. Now works like new and cuts super!

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Horvik

Hello...Found out that the idler was indeed frozen. Used heat to get it out, then brushes it real good and used white grease on it. Now works like new and cuts super!Thanks

id="quote">
id="quote">dOddOd

I had the same problem a couple days ago.

The bushing in the belt tighter was froze tight.

I just got this 916 a while back, after running foot draggers

for 30+ years I'm still getting used to it.

I do like my old 48" deck a lot better, if I can find a 6" pulley

for the center arbor I'll stick it on.

The pulley that on it now is some smaller and i'm not sure the

bearings would hold up.