Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity7013H

Paint Question

Simplicity7013H

First of all what kind of hardener should I use with an oil based paint?? And also how much should I use? 15oz paint = 1.5oz reducer= ?? amounf hardner

Thanks, Elliott

dentwizz

It depends heavily on what brand and type of paint. If it is a rustoleum/alkyd relative use valspar's oil based hardener. Most applications will use 25% hardener to sprayable paint volume(thinner and paint mixed). Mix, and let it set for a while. This differs from urethane catalyst in that the oil based hardener can take as much as 40 minutes to get warm. It will get warm enough to melt dixie cups(just as a warning).

If you use a commercial series paint, there will usually be a data sheet that will explain it's specific methods and hardening process. Will this be sprayed from a gun or sprayer?

Mike_H

Look at the can of paint you bought...It will say what type of paint it is (alkyd enamel, acrylic enamel, etc). You then have to get hardener for that type of paint. If you got the Majik brand from TSC, fleet-Farm, family farm and home, etc...They also carry hardener for it. FWIW, I think Rustoleum will harden with Majik's hardener, but don't quote me on that.