Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PowerMax

MPH

For the first time in almost 2 years I fired up the 4040 yesterday. Last time I tried the starter only clicked, even with booster start on the charger. Guess the battery was just junk. Put in a diehard outta the ranger and it fired right up, felt relieved the starter was ok. But it wouldn't move, stress, stress, checked fluild, just fine, lift would barely raise the 3 pt, well shoot,,,,, OH, you put it in neural to roll it back from the wall STUPID. So, alls fine, except the pos battery cable is green even inside the insulation. Is it possible to replace it without pulling the engine? Haven't looked at real close as I gotta get my clover fields planted first.

blangkabel

I think it would be an engine pull for sure. It isn't to envolved to pull engine, I had mine out three times last week due to starter problems. The manual says to disconnect the pto but don't do it. That was the worst part of the job and after the second time I realized it is not necessary. If you pull motor I would clean the starter and stator as well as blow out the cooling fins and degrease.

Sorry the engine is going to have to come out. It isn't that difficult. I choose to change the belts the last time I had mine out replacing a cable as well. The hardest part was getting it all back to together when you are done. There isn't much room between the engine and the column to get big hands in there and remount the bolts. Patients, some cussing, and a lot of beer help. But it is the only way I know of to get at the cables. Sorry.

blangkabel

When I put my engine back in I left three of the mounting bolts in place when I drop it in from the hoist just line it up as best you can get it close drop it and push around by hand till bolts drop in place. You can then put on the belts before putting nuts on mounting bolts, this will allow you to tip back engine if your putting on new belts as they are a tight fit. hope it helps

midnightpumpkin
quote:Originally posted by blangkabel

When I put my engine back in I left three of the mounting bolts in place when I drop it in from the hoist just line it up as best you can get it close drop it and push around by hand till bolts drop in place. You can then put on the belts before putting nuts on mounting bolts, this will allow you to tip back engine if your putting on new belts as they are a tight fit. hope it helps

id="quote">
id="quote">Thats exactly what I do, except when I take the starter off and forget to put the bolt under the starter in place before the starter goes back on! Then I end up with only 3 bolts.I use a mini chain fall from Harbor Freight, makes it real easy to slowly lower the engine to get the bolts to drop in the holes.John U