Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
jverhaag

Repower 4041

jverhaag

Oh great and wise I seek knowledge!

Can a simplicity 4041 be repowered with a Koehler 20hp k532? Found a used one for 600.00

I've been fighting my current set up for several years and am getting to the point where something drastic needs to happen, a trip to the mechanic and my right arm or It needs a "new heart" and both my arms or a bullet through the hood. But if I shoot her I don't have a tractor big enough to dig a hole big enough for her tired old bones :)

midnightpumpkin

John,

I have a Kohler K582, which is similar to the K532, in my 4040 loader tractor. It was installed by the previous owner by welding a plate across the top of the frame rails, raising the engine up over 3.5 inches. The engine is longer than the Onan and the starter needs extra room that does not exist "in the hole".

The hole where the belt drops down from the front PTO also had to be cut out so the belt could go forward and the mule drive for the deck had to be moved forward.

A while back someone else had one of these kohlers in a Powermax that had the frame stretched to accomdate the engine.

These Kohlers are great engines, but I really don't recommend you go that route, because of the hacking involved.

John U

phillobbezoo

I have a kohler in my 4040 as well it's a loader tractor to, guy I bought it from put it in and hacked the hood apart to make it fit, I lowered the motor enough to make a new hood fit with no mods. I'm with john tho prolly wouldn't go that route either to use any other attachments would be a challenge due to the fact the rear pto can't be used. Rebuild what you have or buy a repower, I have a tractor that seems to be nothing but problems as well but one way or another I figure it out with a lot of help from other members, just my 2cents tho good luck