Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Craigslist save

SmilinSam

Last winter I picked up a cheap 96 Broadmoor off craigslist. Had a leaky tranny and all the hydro linkage was froze up from sitting outside. Holes drilled in the hood top, but the 16hp V-twin engine was supposed to be good. Really, bought it just for the 44" deck , as my dad was looking for a bigger deck for his Massey Broadmoor which is equipped with a 38". He basically paid for the package and took the deck after I went through it, and I kept the tractor for parts.Well, about a month after that I picked up a earlier 90's Landlord off craigs for basically scrap price. Tractor looked like scrap too. headlights busted out, hood sides broke off at the front where they bolt to the grill and brazed back together. Flat tires, a big chunk of the frame in the engine compartment torched off, as well as holes torched in the frame pan to try and apparently put another engine in. Trashed seat, and the whole thing had been siiting in the weather quite a while.To shorten the story up, It ended up a perfect match, as all the parts that were bad on the Landlord were good on the Broadmoor. So, after two total disassemblies I assembled one good Landlord. Hardest part was cutting a piece of the frame from the Broadmoor and using it to repair the Landlords hack job.Heres the results:

DSCN0417_zpsxgr80yl3.jpg

DSCN0418_zpsflh9c8uk.jpg

DSCN0420_zpssxo6c36v.jpg

Making this a second mowing tractor for here at home. That way I can get help while mowing heredOd

Nice looking save there Sam! Dave, don't get me started on the mowing! I need to find a NOS auto pilot kit for my 900 series so I have a chance keeping up.:o:I

Nice job as we've come to expect from you Sam! Looks like the deck had a power bagged option too.

This deck is actually off my 05' Al Eden auction Broadmoor., and there is a power bagger setup for it.

The Landlord deck was a basket case 50" mower with major rust holes and cracks in all the worst places. Normally I wouldn't fix such a bad deck, but seeing as how its near impossible to find used 50" decks in any condition I spent a week fixing it up. Put it on the Broadmoor with its 20 hp engine and swapped the 44 here onto the 16hp Landlord;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Sam. Did you patch up the 50" deck? If so, do you weld the patches on top or underside of the deck? I have an Ultima shaftdrive deck that may need a few patches too...XX(

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Nice work Sam. Did you patch up the 50" deck? If so, do you weld the patches on top or underside of the deck? I have an Ultima shaftdrive deck that may need a few patches too...XX(

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes as stated above. Had a fist size rust hole on the front of the deck in the curve to fix, among other cracks and breaks where the roller bar bolts on. I put my patches on from the top and try and weld from both sides if my level of patience permits. Try to use material thicker than the deck shell so I can start the weld on that and overlap/ melt it onto/into the thinner deck material. Still inevitably end up burning holes through the thin rusty metal though.