Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck install

TommyK

After my last foray removing the deck from my 5212.5, then reinstalling it, I thought to myself, "Self? There's gotta be a better way to mount this pig."

This design has two arms that need to be raised up to frame brackets. Then one pin each needs to be inserted, then secured with the famous Simplicity spring pins.

The rear end is chained to a horse shoe deck lift clevis, which is no great problem.

Either I'm getting older or that @(#*&$#*& deck is getting heavier.

Anyone have any tricks for installing this?

One trick I've developed for getting the thing slid under the tractor is to crank the steering wheel hard left. I then pull the deck into the right side from side left of the machine with my garden rake with hooks up from the bottom. Plenty of hooks and a nice long handle. A little jockeying needs to be done to get the lift arms to clear the front steer wheel, but it is surprisingly easy.

The problem, for me is getting the confound thing lifted and the drag arms' holes lined up and pins installed.

I've tried various 'levers' to raise the front end, but forward/back and right/left are a challenge.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure if it hooks up the same as my 7100 series but for me having a large garden and only one tractor I'm willing to use do to what I think is engine noises the struggle was real with the front pins. I've been switching back and forth between tiller and mower and it seems as though it's become rather easy. I suggest some practice by removing it and cleaning it after every mowing!

I've used a couple different methods.

Hook the rear first, then raise the deck lift so it kinda swings. The lift take most of the weight.

or;

4" x 4" in front of the deck for a fulcrum, ad a long pry bar for a lever. I usually lay on the ground on my side with the lever under my side, so my body weight holds up the deck and leaves both hands free to manipulate the deck and put in the pins.

Or kneeling with knee on the lever.

Agree with finding a way, as have mounted my 38, and 42 decks. I have used a pry bar/wood pole to help raise the deck to pin height. Also use a scissor jack from one of the cars to raise the bar between the two "hooks". This takes most of the weight, and can "swing" the deck to engage. When the jack is totally compressed is low enough. Hope this help, or a can of spinach.....

I have used a 5' round point shovel under the front lip of the deck and laying on the floor in front of the tractor hold the handle down with my body I can move the arms to fit the slot and insert the pins works for me quite well. Then hook the lift cable.

Tom

I drive over the deck it's a lot easier then sliding it under.

I have a short piece of landscape timber I pry the front up and

slip it under the front of the deck, that makes it the right height

and takes vary little jockeying around to get the pins in.

I'm like Rokon but got a used heavy shovel handle and notched it for the connecting bar on the mower hitch.

Broomstick_Jack.jpg

Rokon has the key, put the lift on first and raise I up. Most the weight is hanging on the hook and you can wiggle the front where you need it. I do the same with my 48" Sunstar deck. Personally I think it is easier to take the deck off to sharpen the blades than it is to drag out the ramps and lay on the floor under the tractor to take the blades off.

I also used the lever method until I learned about the "hook up the lift cable and raise the deck" method.

Works great. And no additional materials required.

I slide my deck into place. Then I sit with my chest almost against the grill of the front end. I lift the deck and put my toes under the front end. I then have both hands to maneuver the front end and insert the pin. This method requires a fair amount of flexibility which is getting in short supply as my arthritic body ages.

quote:Originally posted by Tacey

I slide my deck into place. Then I sit with my chest almost against the grill of the front end. I lift the deck and put my toes under the front end. I then have both hands to maneuver the front end and insert the pin. This method requires a fair amount of flexibility which is getting in short supply as my arthritic body ages.

id="quote">
id="quote">...and strong toes!:D

I pay the neighbor kid 5 dollars to do it for me!:D

I slide a paver brick under the front lip of the deck...it's just the right height.One VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember is to remove the brick before testing the deck!:(! (See my senior moment)