Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 electronic ignition

phillobbezoo

Anyone ever had any problems/issues with this. did everything according to the instructions went to fire it up and it just spits and sputters. I also put an electric fuel pump on the tractor, the old pump I bassiclly just plugged the the ports where the lines come out, is it alright to do it like that? I am lost, everything I've read everyone says they fire right up and run like a top but not mine, I know the rotor is on the right way, I'm just lost any help would be appreciated thanks

Phil,

Don't overlook the possibilty that you have a gross vacuum leak in your intake manifolds. I had one that only ran on 1 cylinder because it was sucking air in at the joint where the intake manifold attaches on one side. You could have both sides leaking, just a thought.

BLT we are talking a 2 cylinder Onan CCKB with a conversion to an Onan Performer electronic ignition.

John U

I did the conversion last week and it took a couple tries but fired up. If It were me I would start with basics, spark, fuel, air; if you have these dig a little deeper, pull carb clean it and adjust, make sure you don't have a bad spot on electrical, and last pull engine and make sure the electronic ignition is working and connected correctly. My experience is it is something small that is easily overlooked and extremely frustrating. If you pull engine put it on a homemade engine stand and start it there first. Did you hook up the condenser on + side of coil?

I did the conversion last week and it took a couple tries but fired up. If It were me I would start with basics, spark, fuel, air; if you have these dig a little deeper, pull carb clean it and adjust, make sure you don't have a bad spot on electrical, and last pull engine and make sure the electronic ignition is working and connected correctly. My experience is it is something small that is easily overlooked and extremely frustrating. If you pull engine put it on a homemade engine stand and start it there first. Did you hook up the condenser on + side of coil? To answer your other question it is ok to plug the lines on mech. fuel pump, just make sure it is plugged tight.

Phil,

Can you put the points box on and try it that way. You can just disconnet the electonic sensor. If it runs that way you have isolated the problem, if it does not run ok the problem is not ignition related.

John U

I think that's what I might have to try john, yes the condenser is conected to the + side of the coil I checked the wiring 3 times last night and it is all hooked up right, might pull the carb first and check that, the vacuum leak did cross my mind, left work earlier so I'm gunna go start messing around with it thanks guys

So I unhooked the electronic ignition hooked the points back up touched the key and it fired right up and runs smooth as ever???? So where should I start? It sure acts like the timing is off with the points unhooked it was back firing through the carb and it wouldn't even start just spit and sputtered, if I did put the rotor on back ward would it even spark? I dunno I'm lost

I would say the rotor is not indexed correctly. It's a pain, but I would pull the flywheel and check it.

John U

Yeah that's what I figured I limped it threw half the grass tonight and it ran all right but I have to get the back yard done before I tear it back apart I'll keep you informed on what I find

When I did mine and put the rotor on I was not sure if the key passed through the rotor or was cut before the rotor. I thought about it and ran it through the rotor, did you put the key through it? Just a thought as that is one of the only things I can think of that could get hooked up wrong except for the wiring which you said was correctly installed. I did not have to cut my key which is what kind of threw me off as most people had to cut theirs 3/8th of an inch if I remember correctly.

Yeah I didn't have to cut my key either on this one or the one I did last summer and I put the key on first then slid the rotor over it so I have no idea what I will find

Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this, tomorrow or Saturday im going to pull the motor back out, when I put it together there was a gasket behind the ignition sensor did yours have that gasket or did you remove that? I left mine on can't remember if my other tractor had it or not? If there's nothing obviously wrong where would you look if everything seems fine? To run it out side of the tractor I just need constant power to the + side of the coil right, and power to crank it over right? Then obviously take the power away from the starter. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I pull it out

Phil, like John says he bolts it to a pallet I think. He'll correct me if wrong, anyway that's what I'll do if it has to come out

I used the gasket behind the sensor when I did mine. If you do not see anything that is incorrect with the electronic ignition conversion, I would say test the unit to make sure it is working. I am not sure how to do that but I am assuming there are specs for ohms testing or similar. A quick google search or call to small engine shop should have the needed info. The shop by me was going to loan me a used one for experimenting purposes so that may be an option. At least you narrowed the problem down to the conversion since the engine fires with the points box.

Well it took about an hour and u jd the flywheel off it didn't take long to find the problem, the rotor was pushed back off the key, what I'm confused about I know the new seal isn't push on to far I looked at the old timing cover and the seal isn't any farther on then the old one. I remember I the one I did last year there was very little room inbetween the end of the key and the seal, is the key got to short, it also looks like the rotor was pushed into the seal I'm wondering if some off the flywheel needs to be ground back? Does any one know how much room is inbetween the rotor and the fly wheel. I think my key is too short is that possible I know some of you had to trim yours down I wish mine had that extra 3/8 of an inch or w/e it was that you guys he to cut off. Think going to order another one and see how it compares to the one I have, what are your thoughts guys? Thanks

As far as the key length goes I was told that it depends on which model tractor you order for. I have no personal experience but that is what I was told. If you are not able to get a key long enough and the seal is positioned correctly I would think you may be able to put a shim "large washer" between the seal and rotor. I believe the rotor has to be inline with the sensor, so even if you get a longer key the rotor may be pushed to far back. If it is to far back it wont trigger the module to send spark signal. You could try shimming it, start it on a makeshift engine stand and see if it works. That could be a fairly easy fix.

Right now the flywheel side of the rotor is flush with the flywheel side of the sensor everything seems to be lined up right it's just the key seems to be too short, there's at least a quarter inch between the seal and the end of the key just seems odd.

For got to say if the rotor is shimmed out any more then where it is, it will for sure hit the flywheel, I measured my key and it's an 1 5/8" long it could be an 1 3/4 and it would be long enough and not hit the seal I don't know if I can call and find out if there's different length keys or not I guess I'll find out Monday.

Well I ordered another key I had asked the guy to measure it and he said it was an 1 3/4" witch would have been perfect the one I had was an 1 5/8" well ends up he didn't know how to read a tap measure it was an 1 5/8" so I ground the flywheel down and put a couple of shims behind the rotor, I started it last night and it runs so I put it back in the tractor, started it in the tractor and it runs okay, I'll finish it in a little while and see how it runs under load

Okay so it runs, I made it threw most of the yard but when there's little to no load on it, it misses just a little not bad but enough to bug me but when there's a good load on it going up a hill or encline it doesn't miss a beat? Is it the governor? I dunno any thoughts

Well I rulled out the carb put the carb off my other tractor in it and it's the same thing I dunno