Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB question

Dave-Saratoga

so i was mowing the lawn with the b-210 with a VSP and the speed was changing, kind of like a belt was slipping. Then the tractor stopped moving and the "driven" shaft - ac part number 2027040 was not spinning. So the VSP pulley was not spinning, neither was the PTO pulley. I could induce it to spin but it was weak and as soon as I engaged the PTO or put it in gear, the spinning stopped. The driveshaft was spinning fine.

Anny suggestions? major rebuild im thinking

Check the fiber disc at the back of the driveshaft and also the key in the bgp input shaft yoke. If it is not those, it may be bgb rebuild time.

If the drive shaft was spinning fine and the output shafts (driven) were not, the BGB is in need of rebuild or replacement. It is a simple concept, the input and the output should be solidly meshed. There is no in between. That being said, we are speaking of the output shaft. If you have a bad pulley or key way, but the shaft is spinning fine, then that is another issue. And unfortunately if that is the case, the shaft is probably damaged anyway and you have the same basic problem; bad BGB. Me thinks, based upon your description, you are in need of a BGB rebuild / replacement. And I believe the variable speed is one of those BGB's with a different driven shaft vs. hydro or gear, it's longer on the variable pulley side.

Tom & Brett -

yup. thats what I was thinking. maybe a key. hope it isn't drive shaft - its NLA. I do have spare shaft for standard pulley but would rather use VSP

the fiber disc is fine. the driveshafts spins fine as does the driven shaft into the BGB. If I put reactor in gear I can spin the pto/drive shaft. not a good sign. either the gears or a key inside the BGB . ugh

I had one that broke a keyway on the pulley that goes from the side of the BGB back to the transmission (the pulley opposite of the pto pulley) Long story short; I broke the tractor in two, replaced the bgb and then discovered the broken pulley keyway. I got her fixed though. jh

When grandma's 2210 did that some years ago we drained the oil and it made lots of metalic noises as gear teeth fell out. Bad input bearing to the point the outer race of the bearing was almost invisible.

How is the shaft for end play? I have seen where the gear on the cross shaft came loose and crept away from mesh as well. I forget on that unit, but you may be able to get the back plate off without breaking anything major else apart. If that's the case you can then see if there is any saving/re-meshing the gears without going nuts.

shafts appear tight - bearings seem good. Just no interacion between 2 shafts in BGB. I lost my compressor motor today - it doesnt end this story - gave up for the night. will regroup tomorrow with portable compressor to pull rear end off and expose BGB

so now I'm puzzled. finally pulled everything off behind the BGB and was able to expose it. everything was intact inside. Nothing worn out with the exception of a little chatter on the drive shaft where the transfer gear had been spinning. Woodruff key from drive was whole but lying at the bottom of the bgb. It had apparently been thrown from the keyhole.

Any input here?

Pics please.

This "key" falling out has been a mystery to me. I understand if the snap ring fails, the shaft can move to the right. But the key can't fall out since the driven gear is trapped between the case wall (and its recessed) and the driver gear.

So somehow the shaft moves to the left even if everything is "correct" external of the case on the right side (tranny side).

If you read the referenced post, the FDT tractors didn't have the snap ring, but a stop or step in the shaft that the gear was against.

So if your BGB is an original, a snap ring isn't needed.

RayS, please straighten me out.

I modified the original bgb from a 3 speed to a vsp. when I did the rebuild i tossed all the old parts into a coffee can - drive shaft, bearings, blah blah. in that can was a retaining ring and looking at the original 3-speed shaft, there is a "detante" for the ring as there is on the VSP shaft. will take pics and post later