Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" mowing deck

RobertW

3410 Shuttle--the pto drive pulley on center spindle keeps

coming apart--wipes out spindle shaft and hub--could pto drive be bad ??

Coming apart? Do you mean the main large nut backing off? If that is the case, the nut might not be sufficiently dragging on the threads. They do wear out in a low number of removals and tightenings. If you can turn the nut with your fingers it is worn out.

The same goes for the pulley and keyway. If the pulley wobbles on the shaft prior to the set screw being tight, check the shaft or pulley for face wear. The clearances should be movable but not sloppy. If they are loose or worn, they will not mate tight enough to resist vibrations.

If either condition is only minor a product called loctite 'retaining compound' can work to fill some gapping and adhere the parts together.

The decks that came with the 3400/7000 series tractors(before the splined arbors) are notorious for eating the center arbor on the deck. This is caused by the heavy cast drive pulley. As Dentwizz pointed out the center arbor MUST be installed with no play or slop, with the keys and hub that the pulley bolts to must fit tight, and the big nut must either be brand new or use loctite with a used nut. Or it will come loose.

The older decks that came with the pre-cone clutch tractors with did not seem to have this problem as much, was it the smaller center pulley or the mule drive instead of the cone clutch. The newer decks with the splined arbors cured this problem.

I've had this happen twice on the same deck. Second time with all new shaft and adapter. It seems to be too much overhung weight, and once it starts to wobble, it really wears the shaft.

If you mean spindles with a bunch of little teeth on them it's what's on my 42" and I think both of my 42" decks have them. I'd have to check on the spare parts for the second deck later! Also my second set of spindles needs rebuilt can somebody share the parts number for the rebuild kits I don't want to buy brand new!

Had the same problem with mine. New shaft, new key and nut, made about a half yard cut after the build. Aggravation, because that was the reason for the new assembly. A couple of jam nuts solved the problem, been on well over three years

Replaced spindle and hub and set with Green Loctite also installed

set screws on keystock---then drilled arbor and locknut--installed roll pin through both--if this doesn't last will go to newer stlye

arbor assembly. Thanks for all of your help.Love this website.

Notes taken. Just found out the hard way, that when blade meets stone, the pulley hub can and will shatter.

Of all the deck parts to let go (just replaced a rusted out idler bracket and spring) I would never have guessed that hub would shatter.

(Sovereign 3416H)