Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
alec

valve question

alec
quote:Originally posted by BLT

Has this been a gradual happening or did it all come at once?

id="quote">
id="quote">the valve was stuck pretty bad . took the head off and lightly tapped it down spent the next two hours working it untell it stopped sticking . but I did get a bunch of marvel oil and liquid wrench in the muffler . that has pretty much burnt off I have started it up more than a dozen timessorry I didnt answer the question sm00 It did not run when I got it . it looks like someone has been into the engine though so the answer would be " all at once ":D

dentwizz

Sometimes they get that way from sitting or just from aged/bad gas varnish. I had one that took forever to find because it was intake and would only stick after 10 mins or more of running, and sticking was only visible by dropping gas on the valve in 'closed' position. Sometimes the best thing is to take it out and polish the stems.

alec

I keep running it ( with marvel in the gas ) and it has stopped thunking and stopped smoking and will run for two or three minutes and then start to die and then smooth out for a bit and then die its slowly getting better but I will probably pull the valve at some point

alec
quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

How is the clearance? It might be on the border of too tight when hot.

id="quote">
id="quote">that is my next mission . as soon as I get the coil on the 3415 worked out I will take the valve cover off and check it . figure I would run it a bit with the marvel and see if it fixes itself sm01