Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

coil issue on a briggs 12 hp

alec

3415 has a bad mag ( I killed it ) so I put a coil on it .. jumped it it ran . so I find the dirty safety switch and got it to crank with the key . so I try the mag just to be sure . nothin . so I put the coil on and get no spark . put a test light on the coil and its got power TO BOTH SIDES so I try a different coil , same .unhook the points , same . took the coil to another tractor switched it out and the coil works fine (on the other tractor ) tried unhooking all the tractor stuff except the coil , same . so what causes a coil to have power at both sides ? frustrating thing is that I had it running C

Power at both sides is an indication that there is no access to ground. That being said the points give the system a ground. You may need to rotate the engine by hand until the points close and check both sides again

quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

http://tewarehouse.com/Catalog/0511Good place especially if you can put together a list to offset shipping(like filters and plugs).

id="quote">
id="quote">is the product good ? I just got some points that the backing was loose on one and the adjuster screw wouldnt turn on the other . ( didnt make my day ) thanks for the link the prices are good sm01