Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity7013H

FDT PTO question

Simplicity7013H

How do you remove the pulleys on the FDT mule drive? Is the cast iron pulley removable? I know the other pulley is welded on. My mule drive is all messed up and I need to remove the pulleys to fix the problem. I didn't want to try to use the gear puller and bust the cast iron pulley. By the way: the 3112 is done except for the mule drive.:D

B110guy

Service manual says to remove PTO pulley. Doesn't say how. Looks to be a simple set screw and woodruff key arraignment. If you had a larger 3 jaw that had flat jaws, you should be able to get behind the big pulley and pull flat against the back side.

B110guy

dentwizz

When it comes to those pulleys there are a couple methods I've used in the past. First you want the assembly as torn down as possible and clamp the body in a good vise. Next take two flat bar pry bars and place them behind in opposing positions and pry away from the pulley to put the force at the hub as close as possible. In most of the instances I have tried, that worked well enough with enough wiggling. Penetrating oil is a plus, as can be heat(complimentary to the penetrant).

The ideal would be a flat faced, not a jaw puller. Sometimes Advance or Autozone have them as loaner tools to save some money. Sometimes if you can support enough from behind, such as the vice but set loosely, you can drive the center of the shaft through the pulley. This would be a more extreme method if the afore didn't work.

Simplicity7013H

I've got both a flat and a jaw puller so that won't be a problem. I'm hoping to get it pulled tomorrow. Thanks Guys!! This helped a lot! :):)