Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to do when the garage is gone...

dentwizz

Recently I had to move to a rental duplex when the income fell too low to keep the house, so I had to convert to a 8x8 shed space for shop and 12x15 for the basement. Coming from a 24x24 garage/barn space it was an adjustment. One of the big ones was outdoor tractor storage. I found a place on ebay selling covers called Formosa Covers. For $40 they sell very well made tractor shaped covers that cover my HB112 with ample room to spare.

Plus at work a supplier has switched to sending things on these 2x3 constructed pallets. They happen to be rugged enough to build very nice decks to park on. A little ramp to go with which is removable and voila its a parking space. So far so good. In actuality the only thing that ultimately suffers here is I don't get my 220v welder outlet. That is a drag, but the 220v stuff was partnered with my Dad so he is just going to house it for now. Oh well, life moves on. Not gonna sell my tractors. Especially when they both run and make money mowing :):D

06062015345_zpstcthqjvo.jpg

06062015346_zps9dzsa02a.jpg

Looks like you have made the best out of a difficult situation. Hope things turn around for you soon, so you can be a homeowner with space again.

Indeed. The decline has been a byproduct of inevitability due to the cash-for-clunkers damage to the then employing shop. Anything since has been about 50-60 percent of the previous income. We just hit a low enough point to push the red button in January. The old house has been on the market off and on for almost three years and only has one short sale offer for 115k when it was bought in late 2008 for 179k.

For the time being I have a couple properties that total a few acres to maintain for hire, including my day-job's owner whose place is 3.5 acres of mowable. At least that makes up for the micro lawn in the rental. The main adjustment is the neighbors that live in a HOA behind us think that we are in it, and we very much are not. Oh well.