Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The Death of "The Mutt"

laytonlight

Well the Mutt finally gave up the ghost. A few weeks ago I was mowing and the adapter that attaches to the engine broke and blew apart sending shrapnel out the sides of the landlord. I'd try and fix it but I have no idea where I would get the adapter as it's not a stock Simplicity item since the dimensions and mounted distance of the re-powered Kohler different than what is used to mount the "coupler" to the Briggs. Anyway, I'd have to pull the engine and try and get the broken pieces out of where they bolt to the engine. I think the bolts broke off in the flywheel or whatever it connects to there as broken bolts were part of the shrapnel I recovered. So I was stuck. The other landlord was torn down too far to get built and in to service in any reasonable amount of time. So, I did some research and for the money and being able to buy it on credit for 0% interest for 12 months and get it right away, and the good reviews it got, sin of sins, I went down to HD and plunked down the HD credit card and brought this home.

cub-cadet-xt1-lt50-enduro-2-web.jpg

cub-cadet-xt1-lt50-enduro-1-web.jpg

I know, I know. It's not an AC/Simplicity and it won't stripe and it's got all kinds of plastic on it. And it's a Cub Cadet for crying out loud! But it cuts grass really well and it's cut about 40% off my mowing time with the tighter turning radius, the speed and power of the 24 horse Kohler and it's a very smooth cut. It's a three blade 50" deck so that helps in cutting down the time. It's also a thousand and one times more comfortable than the old landlord. Here's the kicker. If I want stripes, I can get a "Striping Kit" for it that attaches to the back of the deck. :DI'll still be around here because I plan on tearing down the Mutt for a parts cache and finish rebuilding the other 2010 landlord for implement chores (snow, hauling, tilling, etc.) and as a backup grass cutter. I'm sure it will still be around when the Cub bites the dust.

quote:Originally posted by hurleyii

Put a bra on it and it might improve it's looks!! Lol sorry I had to!

id="quote">
id="quote">No, you really didn't, but you did anyway. That's just how you roll, I guess.

If you get as good of use as our zero turn then it will last a long time. We used it for small commercial yards always did what we needed if memory serves me right it also striped pretty good.

I see those everytime I go to Tractor Supply. The hood look 100 times better than the previous white ones. Seats look similar in shape the the ones Simplciity is using now too. Didn't know they still made striping kits. The 3000 series had roller bars, but they disappeared when they quit that series.

I had a CC 2084 with a 54" deck and I thought it mowed pretty good.

Enjoy your new machinedOd

Keep an eye on your engine bolts. My grandmother's CC 1042 with the Kohler was terrible for bolts backing out. Alright machine otherwise, just watch it closely for the first few months.

Originally posted by hurleyii

Put a bra on it and it might improve it's looks!! Lol sorry I had to![/quote[dOd]]

Sorry don't take it personal. My dad has the old super garden tractors and I love it.

Just never been a big fan of the Cubs since they sold them. As for the looks well I think all the new tractors got ugly don't care what the color is.

Oh and safety's and electrical crap up the ass. It's actually why I didn't buy any brand of new tractors.

quote:Originally posted by hurleyii

Sorry don't take it personal. My dad has the old super garden tractors and I love it. Just never been a big fan of the Cubs since they sold them. As for the looks well I think all the new tractors got ugly don't care what the color is.Oh and safety's and electrical crap up the ass. It's actually why I didn't buy any brand of new tractors.

id="quote">
id="quote">NBD. I figured there would be some "humor" thrown my way. I've always tried to stay on the positive side of things here. As far as new vs. old goes I just got tired of having to do at least monthly repairs while hoping I could get the parts while watching the grass get out of hand on 2.5 acres. My buddy in Jefferson City, Gene Wiseman, helped me out a bunch of times. As far as beauty goes, when I got off of it after spending 2 hours less cutting grass, I thought it looked pretty beautiful. sm06

quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

Keep an eye on your engine bolts. My grandmother's CC 1042 with the Kohler was terrible for bolts backing out. Alright machine otherwise, just watch it closely for the first few months.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for the information! I'll do that. Of course I'll have to figure out how to remove all of the plastic around the engine to look at it!

I have a Cub Push mower that has been running with very little attention for about 7 years now. I keep the blade sharpened and keep the oil and air filter clean...and wash it once a season. Mows really good. I think you'll be fine, but I doubt it will last 40-50 years before needing a rebuild.

RIP Mutt

With the amount of mowing you have I'm surprised you held out this long! As you know my fdt fleet gets plenty of work but the Conquest is my go-to mower; comfort and time out there are premium factors. Good looking machine Layton.

quote:Originally posted by gwiseman

RIP MuttWith the amount of mowing you have I'm surprised you held out this long! As you know my fdt fleet gets plenty of work but the Conquest is my go-to mower; comfort and time out there are premium factors. Good looking machine Layton.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Gene! RIP is right. She gave me all she had and more for ten years. I would have loved to keep it orange and stay with Simplicity, but your dealer down there is the only one around and I didn't think I could get quite as much mower for the money and convenience. I looked at ZTRs but to get the same size and quality I would have had to spend another thousand. It is MUCH more comfortable and cuts about 2 hours off of my mowing. Love the big gas tank. Maybe I'll have time for a social visit to Jefferson City instead of going on a "parts run"! :D I'll bring along some of that belting material for your workbench! How's that invisible fence working?

Originally posted by laytonlight
quote:
id="quote">Invisible fence is working great since I repaired the lead. Lauf is selling parts but not sure about Simplicity equipment; none in the showroom. Next nearest dealer is 30min west @ Versailles or Eldon.

The other companies (besides Simplicity) must be brain washing us and programming us to buy their tractors:O:O

No brainwashing here, just expedience. Chris, from the spec sheets: 24 HP professional-grade Kohler® 7000 Series OHV Twin, Tuff Torq® foot-controlled hydrostatic transmission. This is my first hydro and I can see why people like them! It has LED headlights! LOL

If you really want to get your broken Landlord running you could probably get a new flex plate and just run long bolts with spacers to the booster fan pulley. But that's only if you get a new pulley or get the bolts out.

quote:Originally posted by laytonlight

Tuff Torq® foot-controlled hydrostatic transmission.

id="quote">
id="quote">You lost me after you said Tuff Torq

quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H

If you really want to get your broken Landlord running you could probably get a new flex plate and just run long bolts with spacers to the booster fan pulley. But that's only if you get a new pulley or get the bolts out.

id="quote">
id="quote">I figured that's exactly the kind of repair I was looking at and with limited time away from work to devote to it, I figured it was time to throw in the towel on the Mutt and get something that I could depend on for cutting the grass. When I strip it down for parts I'll take a look at getting the bolts out or getting a new pulley as it's been a great engine and still runs great. I can probably figure out something to do with it. Maybe see if the small engine mechanic near me would want it for trade on some work on the 16 horse Briggs I have for the other 2010. I'll need to get that up and running before winter so I can plow.

Originally posted by laytonlight
quote:
id="quote">I'm not sure I understand why. It's a brand:http://www.tufftorq.com/ The same brand used in all of the modern Simplicity lawn tractors.
id="quote">id="quote">Unlike our beloved Sundstrand and Vickers, the Tuff Torq hydro unit is not known for its longevity, durabilty or serviceability.Tuff Torq hydro are designed to fail,thus why we see so many big box store riders selling so cheap if not thown away because the hydro unit has bit the dust.F&F

We all have to make tough decisions.

The "mutt" isn't the early Landlord in your profile pic, is it? That one used to live here, shoulda never let that one go!