Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fail!

dhoadley

I was cutting the grass Saturday with my newly resurrected Broadmoor 717 when I noticed that the three blades weren't cutting level to each other. When I was done I looked under and found the center arbor was, shall we say, unstable.

P6050730.JPG

P6050728.JPG

I have a friend who is a professional welder, so I striped it down to the shell and see what he can do with it. In the meantime, I have a spare deck and threw that on for next time. Its good to have spare parts!:D

P6050730.JPG.7f1535372e93e408b8465c1040a943c7.JPG

P6050728.JPG.6089dd8ae0f7ad423477009fdfae7029.JPG

Quite lucky. I just had a blade arbor shaft do that but it was a lot less mass than an entire assembly. Things like that are huge on my list of motivations for regular inspections. BGB mounts crack too from use.

Failures like that are the reason I get a little crazy when I rebuild old stuff. It almost always goes down to its components, gets inspected, and rebuilt with all new stuff...I just gave McMaster-Carr 100 bucks for nuts and bolts! It can get expensive, but I generally fix it once, then don't have to worry about it again.

Oh, and better bring your welder buddy a case of beer with that shell...Its not going to be much fun to fix.

quote:Originally posted by Mike_H

Failures like that are the reason I get a little crazy when I rebuild old stuff. It almost always goes down to its components, gets inspected, and rebuilt with all new stuff...I just gave McMaster-Carr 100 bucks for nuts and bolts! It can get expensive, but I generally fix it once, then don't have to worry about it again. Oh, and better bring your welder buddy a case of beer with that shell...Its not going to be much fun to fix.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yeah, this will be a cash job. He's tacked some smaller stuf together for me on a "when I have my stuff out anyway" basis, but I know this will take some time. I figure I would pay someone to do it, might as well give the money to a friend. I agree that I was quite lucky, I should have stopped and checked it out when I first noticed it. It's been a lifelong problem of "finish the job first then I'll...":I

quote:Originally posted by CTD01

I have a ton of those decks if you need one down the road dave

id="quote">
id="quote">I may take you up on that, Paul. I'll be seeing my friend sometime this week and he'll let me know by the weekend if he can to it or not. Thanx, Dave

• 3 weeks later...

My friend, "Bill the Welder", was able to squeeze me in and I got it back today. Comes with a life-time warrenty on materials and workmanship!^

P6270761.JPG

P6270762.JPG

P6270763.JPG

P6270764.JPG

The 717 I'm using now will stay a worker and I plan on restoring the 728. I'll use this deck on the restore.

P6270761.JPG.66016c178a53fd12c5d68fcad39a82eb.JPG

P6270762.JPG.830810ea3a224368b7db4fb7a62ae5a7.JPG

P6270763.JPG.c0f2c676f3d8e411837f9b7a358c6f0c.JPG

P6270764.JPG.ba2296ffb1d3c8c65793a32606068cc4.JPG

He's not much of a braggart, but he's confident of his welding skills. He's been doing it for a living for something like 40 years! He'll do small things for free, but I insisted that this be a "pay gig". He put 2 1/2 hours plus materials and I think I got a great deal for $80.