Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
BruceDP

Undersized rod

BruceDP

Does anyone know if anyone makes undersized connecting rods? I guess Briggs use to but doesn't any more. I need to have my crankshaft turned but need to locate a new connecting rod.

Chris727

What is the model # and type # of your engine? Some are available aftermarket and there are often new old stock connecting rods on eBay. If there is not one listed on eBay now, add "briggs" + the part number to your saved searches on eBay and before long one will likely show up.

BruceDP

Thanks,was fairly regular on here a few years ago and was a paying member. Things happen and life got busy for a while, back now and hope to be around in here more often. This site has helped me a lot over the years.

Thanks again!

Chris727

I have been getting the 16hp undersized rods from Tulsa Engine Warehouse. They have aftermarkets for about $20 each and the quality looks as good as the last new rod I got from Briggs. The Briggs number was 390306.

BruceDP

Yep, that's the number I had for a .020 under rod. Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can contact them. Not sure if a 20 under is enough, crank measures 1.289. A 20 under rod would only be 1.294 if I understand it all correctly.

This site is a great resource, I'll have to become a member again.

Thanks guys!

BruceDP

Just talked with a local shop about building the crank up and then turning it down to size. He said he couldn't do it on a single cylinder crank because there's no way of straightening it. I don't know enough about it to explain it in any more detail but that's what I was told. Just thought some of you might be interested.

spyder400k

ok the crank should be 1.291 to be .020 if your reading 1.289 its junk even with a new rod .020 dont waste your time with that. its needs redone. in my view. i get mine redone i get them hard chromed its a bit of change to do but it will last. rods are avail on ebay.

BruceDP

Thanks guys. Pretty much thought it was beyond useable as is but wanted to be sure. Did check ebay and so far no luck with a crank. I know of a couple lawn mower junk yards around here and when I get time I'll see what they have to offer. Thanks for all the advice! Guess I'm in search of a new crank.

oh, forgot to mention I found one but it won't accommodate a front pto. Need that to blow snow.