Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hand control hydro on a loader tractor?

Chris727

I have read that a hydro is better as a loader tractor. How the heck to you keep your hands available to operate the bucket and steer on a hand controlled machine? I only ask because I am considering getting another hydro FDT to put my loader on.

Why, you become a tractor, loader ninja of course!:D Chris, I am right there with you. I had enough problems with a snowthrower with a hand on the hydro, one on the wheel, one to turn the spout rotator switch, and hold a cup of coffee. Lets just say efficiency was not a strong point. I really think life is much easier with a foot control hydro and a loader.

Chris, it is not the best way to run a loader tractor, but it becomes second nature, just like running a hydro and hydrolift for attachments. You get some tricks...have the steering wheel straight and your approach or retreat lined up. Sometimes set your speed a bit lower than ideal, but allowing you to steer and move the bucket while in motion. I've been guilty of moving attachments with my loader while standing beside the tractor, leaving it in a slow creep forward...can't do that with a 3 speed.

I really do not care to ride the clutch on a 3speed to control speed on a loader tractor...it's a LOT of clutch work, and you know how a 3 speed can really grab hold and push/buck against a load (heaven forbid your foot slip from the clutch...goodbye axle tube or loader arm).

A 3 speed loader is still great compared to no loader. For play or light use, they are a ball, but for daily use or big jobs, I prefer the smooth operation and ease of control that the Vickers offers. It is also greatly appreciated for carrying a load downhill, vs riding the brake.

Maybe I am special "I doubt it" but I use my loader all the time and it is fairly easy to operate and drive. Really how often do you turn the wheel move the loader and want to change speed at the same time? It could be that the first 9020 I bought had the loader so I learned how to drive it and use the loader vs getting use to driving the tractor then add the loader. I think it is like talntedmrgreen said, it becomes second nature. I personally have never used the clutch or brake on any of my Pmax tractors.

I agree that the hand hydro is a pain. I put my loader on a Shuttle drive tractor. I have 4 speed ranges and I can control my drive wheels with the clutch leaving my hands free for the "bucket, boom & steering". I put the lever in full forward (2nd or 3rd gear) & use the clutch to dig into the pile

I know lots of you dont like the shuttles...I was one, until I actually read the book and did an exact factory adjustment. It works great, plenty of power even with a loader, I can spin the big fluid filled 10.5 Ag tires while digging into a pile in the 2 lower ranges...But foot hydro would be great!

BUT, I am thinking of moving my Kwik-Way Loader to one of my Duetz-Allis Ultimas. mainly for the power steering...but they are hand hydrostst drive. So I will play both sides of this topic.

I agree with Josh's point that ANY loader is still a LOADER

I guess if I didn't have to pull the engine out to mount the front support, I would just try it on the HB-212. I had been building a B-212 variable for the loader. I really didn't want to put a loader on the HB, long term.

Chris, I moved my loader around and never had to remove the engine. Those two bracket bolts are a pain in the rear, but I was always able to crack them loose with an impact. I took a long flathead screwdriver and was able to wedge it very firmly against the bolt heads, one at a time, then zap it from beneath with the impact. EZ off, and EZ on. Tightened down very securely.

I see somebody made a comment about converting the hydro to pedal assemblie! Is this possible actually??? Please say yes and share a link! !

Whats to stop you from using the clutch on a hydro like my 3112? pretty similar to switching gears if you ask me. When you want to stop hit the pedal select your reverse and release the pedal. To switch the front support just take a 5/8 wrench grind it some and bend a 90 in it thats what I did works perfect. Got that tip from chris delapp