Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Making a belly grader

rich_kildow

Hopefully things will work out and I'll find a belly blade, but not holding out much hope. My brother has a line on a bunch of very heavy duty I-beam. He said it is something like 6" wide with 5-6" web and at least 1/4", if not 3/8", thick. I'm wondering if I could make some sort of drag or belly blade out of that.

I'm envisioning a typical grader blade frame with a mounting hole driller in the front half of the top of the "I" and 3 angle position holes drilled in the back half of it. The bottom side could have the same pattern to make it reversible. Wings on either end to carry some fill and scarifying teeth on one side to loosen material. After scarifying, undo the main bolt, flip it, and smooth it out.

This seems way to simple so I've got to be missing something. Any input?

Rich I built one several years ago 6 in. cutting edge for bulldozer and a plow frame that will fit your tractor. I believe it was 48 in blade, you have to remove the lift bracket from plow frame. I welded the pieces on the cutting edge hard to drill. I don't have drawing real simple to build.

Rich,

if you intend to use the grader on the 4111. the spacing o f the ears on the standard 42" blade hitch, are too wide to fit the mount on the wishbone. but a grader blade is the best to use for the small frame tractors, since it is closer to the real center of gravity, and works well with the differential in the transaxle for traction.

i can send you a photo of the OEM adapter to make up the difference in width, from FDT to small frame. easy to make pricey to buy ($120).dOd

Wayne

This would be on a 7100/900 tractor...the 4111 is my Dad's.

It looks pretty straightforward. I also came across this:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=914533#post914533

A guy cut a front blade in half and accomplished the same thing. I kind of like the I-beam idea as I could flip it upside down and reverse it for different cutting and to account for wear...which would probably never be an issue with that.

Does anybody know the height of the blade portion of a grader? This I-beam, which I should be getting tomorrow, is 12" tall and 3/8" thick, meaning it should weigh around 25 pounds per foot. Unless this is too tall, I think I'm going to take a crack at it.