Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dav

murray id question

dav

got a cl freebie murray 13.5 briggs rider. when I type the murray number off the bright red tag -405000x8-into the murray.com site, it says it can not find that number.

anyone know how to find info on this machine?

I was told by the p o that 'it runs but has issues'

wont crank by the key but will with a screwdriver across the solenoid. but doesn't fire up.

shut off valve on bottom of carb gets warm so I guess it gets power. if I remove it and ground it, should I see that little plunger in it move?

hope to get it running to replace the scottsman which is starting to give problems.

BLT

First of all the engine is magneto fired so its own spark and has to be ground to stop it. I assume it is a Briggs engine and they typically attach the ground on the throttle control side, black wire disappearing into engine. Disconnect that wire and see if engine starts. As far a solenoid goes, I am taking a stab that you have dirty connections. You can E-mail murray.com and give that tractor number and see what you can get. I Googled it and it shows up.

dentwizz

The plunger is your fuel cutoff. It will need to be open and supplied power to allow fuel to flow. It is pretty common for those to get clogged with bad gas or other junk so take it out and rinse it. Make sure the rubber cone at the end is clean and not deformed and that the plunger action is easy. The carb side and fuel bowl should be cleaned at the same time as they have all seen the same fuel contaminants/age.

Is the battery fully charged? I am not sure what the minimum voltage is for the fuel solenoid to work properly, but a charged battery is the best starting point. The starter solenoid is usually routed through a seat switch and pedal switch before going to the solenoid itself. If either switch is dirty or damaged it will not complete the circuit. If the contacts are clean from the battery on through to the solenoid(multiple joints and terminals) check the switches for continuity activated and released. Those can be bypassed temporarily for testing but not recomended to be left that way.

dav

bob, I immeadiately went to murray.com thru the link you mentioned-same as the one I had used. one '0 matches found' and 7 variations of the number I used with 'not supported'.

but what I was after was info on which wires did what. so I looked for the black wire you mentioned. it has been spliced into a blue wire that goes to the plastic connector. I unplugged it and the motor started right up. plugged it in and it died. so I mowed with it unplugged.

when finished, I turned the key off but before I could plug the wire in to kill it, it shut itself off.

I can work with this.

thanks for the help

dentwizz

Key off shutting off with that wire off sounds like the fuel solenoid did the shut down. For that blue wire to turn it off almost sounds like it is the ignition ground and something along the way wants to turn it to ground(aka shut off). Could be a seat-kill or a miswired key switch perhaps.