Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Throttle setting when using sickle bar

Simplicity_728

I just repowered my model D walk behind with a 5.5hp Briggs I/C 134202. I was wondering what to set the throttle at when using the sickle bar? Thanks

When using a sickle bar mower, you set the throttle just below the speed at which parts start to break and above the speed where it won't cut at the speed you want to walk. I know this is useless advice, but it is exactly the same type of advice our professor in school told us when we asked how tightly one should tie knots when suturing in surgery. His answer was to tie just below the point at which the suture breaks. Of course the real answer here is experiment and you will figure it out with experience. Just try not to break too many pieces in the process!

If in doubt, ease into it. If you are not fast enough it won't cut as well but it is not so speed critical on the low end as a rotary unit since it is a shear. Slower is a lot nicer on the frame fatigue life. For the tractor version I have had more issues with chassis fatigue than unit fatigue so it's more of a keep it slow as you can stand thing.

Wouldn't full throttle be best?

I don't usually run my tractors at full throttle cause they are old but just saying/asking?!

Full throttle would be best for motor

Full throttle would be best for hydrostatic

Full throttle would destroy sickle bar

Once you sit on one, or hold on to a walk behind, you will quickly figure out "the slower the better":D:D