Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rokon2813

Puzzle for the experts....

rokon2813

So, 2 years ago I blew the engine in my squire....

Last year, B 12 broke 1 drive shaft bolt off in the engine (booster fan), bent the other, broke the flex disk, pretzled the drive shaft....

Both have been torn apart since. Yesterday I got ambitious and put the B12 engine (12 hp) in the Squire.

Changed booster fan, that also got damaged when the drive shaft blew, different bolts, washers, spacers, drive shaft.

Less than an hour of mow time and I got a bad vibration. Shut it down and found one of the drive shaft bolts into the booster fan sheered.

The engine runs fine, no odd vibrations, any idea's what would cause that? What to look for ??. Coincidence ???

Gotta pull the engine back out to get the bolt out and see if it cracked this booster fan, don't want to put it back in and see it happen again...

Help :o

hurleyii

What grade bolts did you use and is that grade specs?

Did you torq to factory specs and use lock nuts and or washers?

Is it possible you bent the output shaft on the BGB first time around, or bad front bearing? ( I'm assuming that tractor does have a BGB !)

If all of those possibilitys are not an issue then I'd inspect that new drive shaft with a strate edge and check the bolt holes for oblong shape and for center in case it's a bad shaft or home made. You can have a drive shaft shop balence a drive shaft on cars. Not sure if that's possible on these.

dentwizz

I'll second that. A bad setup at the other end could allow it to go astray. Almost any time a bolt comes off my equipment it goes back in as a grade-8. They rust in less and they don't shear off nearly as easy(as is critical for blades and drives).

rokon2813

Everything from the flywheel back is original to the Squire. Never had a problem with that until the rod broke....

I guess I'm not supposed to mow today.

Started up the B 12 to mow with that WAS for sale. 1 round and the center spindle went out. :o:O

SmilinSam

It would seem the problem would about to have to be either with the engine and booster fan, or with the parts or way the parts for the driveline are assembled to the booster fan.

Pretty sure you know how the washers and spacers all go together by now though..

Gearbox shaft ok?

Talntedmrgreen

New flex discs or used? Ive put in used ones and had them wallow slightly and begin to vibrate. 1 grenaded. Never had an issue with a new one, or real clean used one with mo wear.

Willy

I had a problem about like that with a Big-10.

The yoke on the BGB was loose and wallowed out, it's a little harder to feel a vibration coming from that end.

I ended up shearing a bolt at the engine and bending the drive shaft

but nothing real bad as I had spare Parts.