Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
bud119195

16 hp Vanguard

bud119195

Bought a Simplicity made Massey Furgeson last night has a 16 hp vanguard with 500hrs on it.problem I am having is motor looses power when you engage clutch and try to mow,it will bog down enough to almost kill the engine,Any Ideas what to look for??

RedbarnRick

Check the bevel gear box to see if it's going out due to a bad bearing, or the arbors on the deck could be dry and dragging down the power, the clutch is directly attached to the cross shaft of the bevel gear box, does it bog down when the deck is engaged and the tractor stationary or is it bogging down as you cut? It could be as simple as carb mixture, try engaging the deck and enrich the carb with the mixture screw until it sputters then turn it in until it smooths out.

gwiseman

It's normal. My routine:

1. rev the engine to wide open throttle (wot)

2. engage electric clutch

3. disengage electric clutch as rpms decrease

4. engage electric clutch again as rpms increase to wot

Mine is 2001 Conquest 16-44 Vanguard. Usually follow this routine only at startup b/c when engine is warm and mower/blower has been run normal mower one time engagement works. Just remember it doesn't hurt the machine to run wot before engaging the electric clutch.

goatfarmer

On my Broadmoor, with a 14HP Briggs Vanguard, I run the engine at less than half throttle to engage the electric clutch, then take the RPM's up. I don't want the clutch engaging at WOT.

Is the air filter clean?

bud119195

Found out it runs with no air filter.old filter dont look to dirty though.I might check govenor also,it doesnt seem to turn alot of rpm's.does anyone know how many rpms these motors should run at?