Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp Vanguard

bud119195

Bought a Simplicity made Massey Furgeson last night has a 16 hp vanguard with 500hrs on it.problem I am having is motor looses power when you engage clutch and try to mow,it will bog down enough to almost kill the engine,Any Ideas what to look for??

Check the bevel gear box to see if it's going out due to a bad bearing, or the arbors on the deck could be dry and dragging down the power, the clutch is directly attached to the cross shaft of the bevel gear box, does it bog down when the deck is engaged and the tractor stationary or is it bogging down as you cut? It could be as simple as carb mixture, try engaging the deck and enrich the carb with the mixture screw until it sputters then turn it in until it smooths out.

This one doesn`t sound like it has a bevel gear box in it. Unless it was repowered with a 16hp Briggs Vanguard. Sounds more like a vertical shaft engine tractor.

It's normal. My routine:

1. rev the engine to wide open throttle (wot)

2. engage electric clutch

3. disengage electric clutch as rpms decrease

4. engage electric clutch again as rpms increase to wot

Mine is 2001 Conquest 16-44 Vanguard. Usually follow this routine only at startup b/c when engine is warm and mower/blower has been run normal mower one time engagement works. Just remember it doesn't hurt the machine to run wot before engaging the electric clutch.

On my Broadmoor, with a 14HP Briggs Vanguard, I run the engine at less than half throttle to engage the electric clutch, then take the RPM's up. I don't want the clutch engaging at WOT.

Is the air filter clean?

I've never had that issue with my 18hp vanguard in either of the 90's Landlords. Maybe the governor arm is out of adjustment.

I have a 14hp Vanguard in a mower and if the battery is weak the motor will run but engaging the clutch will kill it.

Found out it runs with no air filter.old filter dont look to dirty though.I might check govenor also,it doesnt seem to turn alot of rpm's.does anyone know how many rpms these motors should run at?

• 4 years later...

I know this is very old post but I wanted to chime in to help other searching this problem. My 21 hp donor (450 hrs) did this on my cub cadet barely had the power to more well maintained sandy grass area. 

Do a compression check you will find a bad cylinder head most likely.  Valves don’t get adjusted or  valve covers leak causing dirt build up and eventually destroying the cylinder heads.