Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
bosmatj

916H repower question

bosmatj

I have a quick question about the re-powering job I am doing for my farmer daughter's AC 916H. It is this: when facing forward, does the driveshaft from the engine spin clockwise or counter-clockwise? This will help me determine the orientation of the replacement engine.

Thanks,

Tim Bosma

dentwizz

Typically the engine will be installed with the stock shaft sticking forward. It is a counter intuitive to mount the engine as such since it then requires adaptation to mount the driveshaft on, but it reduces the amount of debris ingestion among other things.

I believe it is clockwise from the driver seat...

Brettw
quote:I have a quick question about the re-powering job I am doing for my farmer daughter's AC 916Hid="quote">
id="quote">

Wow. This thread has left the door wide open for the Farmer's daughter jokes......:D

But I do have to ask, because now I am curious. Don't all of the small engines generally rotate in the same direction? It would seem like a real nightmare designing equipment and fitting (as this question points out) re-powers, applications, pumps and hydraulics, etc.?

BLT

The standard rotation world wide for all internal combustion engines is clockwise as viewed from the fan side. For an air cooled engine, the lion's share of them, probably all of them in the L & G market, use the flywheel/magneto as the cooling fan and mass to prevent the engine from 'kicking' when rope starting them. The only exception is mostly the WB mowers. If you don't believe they 'kick', take off a mower blade and try starting the engine. I learned the hard way. Thought the 2nd and 3rd fingers were pulled right of the joints.C

BLT
quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

Was thinking some tractors other than Simplicity used crankshaft end to drive tractorsBeen wrong once already today here on site

id="quote">
id="quote">Ron you are correct, but if you look at the shaft, it will be turning counter clockwise.

bosmatj

Thanks all. She has a 716 and a 916H. 3 non-working Kohler 16s. I'll start in on those rebuilds in the winter. Hope to get 1 good worker out of them.

I will start documenting the repower, since I forgot to note the direction. Now to get the adapter fit on the new engine.

Thanks,

Tin Bosma