Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New To The Family

fitchnhunt

Hello all! Just purchased my first lawn tractor after moving to a new house with plenty of property to justify having one. It is a 1982 Simplicity Sovereign 7119 hydrostatic with a 19HP Kohler twin cylinder. It came with a 48" mower deck, a 42" snow blower, and a dump cart. The tractor seems to run great and after getting the mower installed last night the lawn is cut. Any suggestions on what to do, not to do, or otherwise? I did do an oil change, replaced the spark plugs, and made sure the air filter was clean. Haven't touched transmission yet. Only known issue as of now is it will backfire when I shut it off......it sounds like a 22 rifle going off it's so loud. I let it idle at low speed for a minute before turning off......maybe throttle it up a bit? Thanks!

~Fitch

welcome !!!

that is a garden tractor . be careful calling it a lawn tractor and never call it a lawn mower ! hahaha

you can get free manuals if you poke around the web or I can point you in the right direction if you need help .

make sure you lube it as per the manual . you can see most of the zerks but there is one hidden under the frame for the steering .also lubing the rubber gasket under the steering wheel helps alot .

enjoy ! they are great tractors

Welcome

You have a Kohler KT (Kohler twin) engine. They are known to backfire if you don't let them idle for 20 sec or so before shutting them off, if you been working them.

Check level in transmission which is also your hydraulic reservoir. Check oil in the Bevel Gear Box (BGB).

Keep in touch with this site and your will get a lot more info on the BGB.

Rear axle has grease fittings one is inside hubcap if it has hubcaps.

Change your gear box oil ASAP . You should also grab the driveshaft at the gear box and see if it has movement. If so a rebuild may innorder before it gets real expensive. It's super easy if it needs it. I'd change rear end fluid ASAP as well along with the filter.

If you want to get crazy front wheel bearings are greasable to.

Deck spindles also have grease fittings sometimes!

I see you live right down the road from me, I have a 7117 and love that thing. I call it old faithful as it always starts and does whatever I need it to. It also backfires, more like a shotgun though!

The shotgun has to do with the muffler design. I accidentally built a muffler that did the same thing. Not sure how, but same principle. Good trac to start the collection with :DSoon there will be more...

He already needs one more. The rule is one tractor per attachment.^ Then, after he gets another tractor, he'll need to get another attachment, and so on until he needs to get a bigger garage!:D Welcome to the club.

Welcome to the zoo, Nice tractor to START a collection with.

You can never have to many tractors, the wife will tell you

when you have enough.:D

Good luck and have fun with the club.

OK sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for the warm welcome!....been busy mowin and hauling firewood.

Alec: sorry I guess it is a 'garden tractor'. My bad.....still learning the terminology. I have the original manuals that came with the tractor new. I hit all the zerks but will also lube the steering wheel gasket.

MikeES: Have let it idle down for a min or so and so far no backfire. Thought I read something about head gaskets going from the backfiring...will look more into it when I have time.

hurleyii: next free time I have I will delve into the transmission. Having trouble figuring out the proper fluid to use. We have a small engine shop in town that I believe has simplicity parts so I'm sure they will know what I need.

fishinwiz: Thanks!

blangkabel: whereabouts are you located? I figured the shotgun sounds were someone in the neighborhood hunting!

dentwiz: General concensus is this isn't too bad of a starter. I prefer older, solid built stuff than todays throw away crap. Things seem to have been made better back in the day. I can appreciate quality work.

dhoadley: I'm with you brother but convincing the wife is a whole other battle usually lost. I found out tonight from my wifes uncle that I bought the tractor from that they have a sweeper for it too so I'll be getting that within the next day or so. That will be 4 attachments and a whole lot of garage space tied up. Time for a pole building!

Willy: Thanks and yes the wife will spout up when she can't park in the garage anymore. We shall see how it goes.

Manual question.....I have the original manuals for my tractor but noticed when looking them up on the Simplicity website, there are 3 operators manuals. The first one looks like the paper copy I have but I'm not sure what the other 2 are. Are they just updated manuals or for a different "version" tractor? My model number is 1690638. Thanks!

Well turns out the local small engine shop can't get the simplicity filter anymore. They said they could get me an Oregon brand one for 19 dollars. I did some digging on the internet and found the simplicity filter crosses to a Napa FIL 1084 gold. Micron rating looks almost identical. I ran to Napa to pick up the filter and fluid. The manual calls for Type F ATF for the hydro but they only had Type FA which they said will work just fine-is backwards compatible. Anyone have any issues with using this filter and fluid or do you recommend something different? Planning on working on the tractor this evening after work. Thanks!

I cant answer those questions , there are people here who can but you should start a new thread for each question you will probably get better responses sm01