Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

at wits end

Dave-Saratoga

XX(

started a thread a while ago about BGB problems on a b-210

had to pull rear end off to do that repair - which - at the suggestion of a fellow member was due to a snap ring. ok - fixed.

in the process, the cowl assembly, which had been sitting up on the top of the battery and gas tank came in contact with the positive terminal and shorted out the magneto. off came the engine and in went a new magneto

get it all back together today - rear end/tranny on, engine back installed and running -etc. start it up - fine - go to put it in gear - not so good, gears grinding etc. I adjust VSP pulley stop - maybe a little better, but really the problem seem to be brake drum. it isn't spinning so applying brake has no effect - other than burning up VSP pulley. damn it stinks lol

why would brake drum stop operating if it wasnt touched I dropped rear end for BGB repair by taking off plstes between bgb and tranny. never did anything to tranny other that wheel it out of the way

guys - its been 2-1/2 wks at this and seems like domino effect

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's any consolation, the problems tend to mount into piles. Work through the pile and you are gonna be good and set for a fairly long time. ;)

To drop the rear you would have had to undo the link rods. In so doing, the linkage settings that control the belt stopping are pretty fickle. When I had a 210 it would do that if it was not completely disengaged at the belt and would go freespinning if put in neutral prohibiting reengaging a gear.

The only time it will grind is if the input shaft is spinning, so test your gear mesh when turned off to see if there are any issues and power it up in gear to see if it is really stopping the belt properly. If it is not, it will still perform while in gear but freespin the instant it is released. Do you have the separate belt stop plate that goes on top between the pulleys? When I got my 210 it didn't have it and I must have beat my head a dozen times trying to figure the same problem out.

all I did was take it apart then reassemble. I didn't adjust anything. the be;t stop should have been in the same place and worked the same upon reassembly

my only real question is that I have an extra washer - same diameter as the shaft on the tranny and the BGB. not really sure where it goes yet

Ok - update - i just disconnected the brake band linkage. there was then enough throw in the VSP idler pulley and pulley stop to bring the VSP to a stop.

None of the settings - as in the stop setting with nuts on the brake band linkage, nor the nut stops on the connecting bar to the brake pedal. the linkage to the VSP idler pulley are is set length - no adjustment.

Guys - I'm really at a loss here

is it possible that anyone can send me pics of the brake assembly/linkage on the one side of the tractor and the idler pulley linkage on the other side?

this is really getting frustrating

my email is dscheuing@gmail.com

I do and I'm following them exactly actually I have 4 manuals that all describe and illustrate the VSP setup. One has adjustment instructions. all are set according to specifications - plus nothing was changed in taking the rear end apart. all stops and settings were left as they were. re-assembly is to specification

It just doesn't make sense

I am sending you pics from my wifes fancy phone from my B212 . hope they help

also the manual from the simplicity 3212 is the same ( so I am told )mechanically . it has some good drawings

quote:Originally posted by Dave-Saratoga

awesome. cant wait to see them

id="quote">
id="quote">you should have them in your gmail . let me know if you dont

ok. think i figured it out - well at least it ran. needs some adjustment but I dont know what the problem was. all I did was take off the brake linkage and put it back all. all is fine.

thanks to dentwizz and Alec for their input

Dunno how many times as an over the road mechanic it comes down to take it off and put it back the same way to make a night and day difference. Go fig when it happens, lol.