Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil issue

720nut

OK, I know this is not a Simplicity Or allis question but, I have a 38hp Kohler engine in my Exmarks. It has developed a tick as sorts and I'm being told that it's because I run Kendall GT-1 20-50 oil. The dealership says Exmark or Kohler 20-50,at I must say an increased price like $8 qt, I've spoke with both companies and neither requires anything special just good 20-50 grade oil.

So my question being has anyone heard of such on these engines? I personally have been using Kendall oil since my High School days with no problems at all.

Tell the dealership you'll buy their $8 per quart fancy oil. If the ticking goes away, maybe it was worth it, if not, they pick up the tab!

....It's my understanding that Kohler has a special

Additive Package in their oils that will do away

with that ticking noise.....This was told to me by

a "doubting dealer" and so far he has not been able

to prove them wrong.....

The Kendall oil is a dino oil. That will shear down with usage from a 20w-50 to maybe a 20w-30. It's claims about having titanium in it also smacks of mouse-milk claims.

If the Kohler oil is a synthetic, it may well be worth the $8 a quart. Or use Mobil 1 15w-50 for a little lower cost.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/62_590_01_a_om.pdf

quote:Oil Recommendations

Using the proper type and weight of oil in the

crankcase is extremely important. So is checking oil

daily and changing oil regularly. It is also

recommended that a consistent brand of oil be used.

Failure to use the correct oil, or using dirty oil, causes

premature engine wear and failure.

Oil Type

Use high quality detergent oil of

API (American Petroleum Institute) service class SJ or higher.

Select the viscosity based on the air temperature at the time

of operation as shown in the following table.

id="quote">
id="quote">

If a particular Kohler engine "required" a special Kohler only brand oil, they would have to spell it out in their Owner's Manual or a Service Note, just to avoid liability claims - don't you think?

Maybe its just time to have the tappets adjusted (can they be adjusted on that model?)

I have 485 hrs on it practicly new. Have two identical mowers and have not had any issues with other. I contacted Kohler and they say as long as it's a quality oil and 20-50 does not matter. I've been told all sorts of things by dealer, still have a year on warranty.

as for tappets I'm not sure if they are adjustable.

I just changed oil to Kohler 20-50, I let it run for a while and see no difference in the ticking

Also did compression check 150 on left 147 on right

Totally different Kohler engines, but I've had two of the old Magnum line develop a ticking. After several 100 more hrs. of running, the cam gear lost a tooth and nearby teeth had lots of wear.

Mark I was told by one of there mechanix that heat was a real problem if grill was not kept clean so air flow was constant, it will supposibly melt the oil pump gear if heat gets to high. hopefully this is not the case. Am taking it in this morning to see if they can fix or find a remedy.

My basic question was as to differences in the oils. One dealers says Kohler other says Exmark oil, both in my opinion very expensive compared to Kendall. It's just real hard to teach an old dog new tricks

All I can say about Kendal is my fiancé was very good about changing her oil in her Neon and at 170k she lost compression I'm 2 cylinders and it had to crank 5 times plus to get enough compression to start!

Went to dealer this morning this is what they did:

Drained out the Kohler oil I put in last Thursday (which did not stop ticking) they put Exmark brand oil in again (did not stop ticking) Told me to run maybe go away which didn't, Ask about blowing it up and was told not to worry it's under warranty

As far as I can tell I've seen absolutely no change in any oil ( Kendall GT1,Kohler,or Exmark)

I've had good luck with Shell and Castrol oils as far as being abuse tolerant(using in already worn out machines). Worst ever was walmart's Supertech. May as well have been gasoline when I drained it.

Sometimes ticking engines can quiet down with a little Rislone oil treater added in. Helps with leaking too.

If Kohler says you "have" to use their oil then they have to supply you oil free of charge. (Moss Magnuson act) Since they are not, then any good oil as specified should be good enough. Personally I would make sure to use a "diesel" engine oil. They have more soot (dirt) carrying capacity and modern diesel engines run hot like our air cooled engines do. My personal choice is Chevron Delo 15W40.

Ken

Thanks Josh, as this is a warranty issue I'ld be leary of using anything they don't approve, even if I don't agree with there diagnois

Kohler is pretty good about warranty issues. I had a 27hp out of an ExMark that just quit running. Turned out the cam gear on the crank is a press fit. The gear split so it wouldn't drive the cam, it just spun on the crank. Kohler supplied a new crank, cam and lifters. They said the new crank (cam gear) would fail in 100 hours without a new cam. All this was no charge on an engine with 600+ hours. No labor included but still pretty darn generous in my opinion.

So I guess my point is you have started the documentation process with Kohler. I think they will stand behind the product.

Ken

Hi if this is under warranty. id drop if off to the dealer who sold you this product and leave it there till its fixed. the longer you wait to get this fixed or wait to see if it runs out of tick the shorter time you have on a warranty claim.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

Mark I was told by one of there mechanix that heat was a real problem if grill was not kept clean so air flow was constant, it will supposibly melt the oil pump gear if heat gets to high. hopefully this is not the case. Am taking it in this morning to see if they can fix or find a remedy. My basic question was as to differences in the oils. One dealers says Kohler other says Exmark oil, both in my opinion very expensive compared to Kendall. It's just real hard to teach an old dog new tricks

id="quote">
id="quote">The gear is not plastic on the Magnums. It is cast integral with the cam. Totally different design. But I would be concerned about a ticking sound. That means there is some clearance (looseness) somewhere in the engine. That looseness is likely to grow. That may not lead to a failure until the unit is out of warranty.

It's been a week since ticking started no change in anything so far.Find it real hard to beleive oil is culprit.

Will check and see if they've got me a loaner, can't afford to be without a mower. will let all know outcome