Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Some show some tell

edlincoln

Thursday night, I hauled these assorted garden tractors to the Meeker Days street fair in Puyallup, Wa. Saturday a guy in his early sixties walks up and Asked what a old Simplicity was worth. He said he pulled the 9hp engine out. It has a tiller and a trailer with a dog house grass collection tube to the mower deck. His wife wants it gone. She shows up and says come on out I'll make ya a deal. So early next week I'll go take a look.

100_3271.JPG

100_3271.JPG.de65e065bd2e6671b2d361aa125314b8.JPG

Way to go Ed! I did the same thing last year...turned out to be a 1 owner 64 Landlord...cleanest machine I had ever laid eyes on. Im returning to that show a week from now and made sure to reach out to the elderly couple who sold me their landlord, to let them know their old machine will be there!

I love the deals that pop up from nowhere...Good luck! Based on his wife, it sounds like you'll do well sm01

I went out and took a look at it, It's 2010. It going to need a restoration, steering frozen, semi rusty, engine has compression. It has a decent tiller with the drive. It also has a belt driven blower on the back to pull grass from the mower deck. I'll post a picture tomorrow night. Paid $100

He said he would sell the trailer if he could get enough money to replace it. I told him he could not buy a trailer of that quality or 1 that dumps completely over. Trailer was always stored indoors.

Yes Gilson made Monkey, I think it's a 71 or 72. Years ago there was a large MW store in Portland, OR. Seems to be a lot of MW tractors in that area. It was on the Portland craigslist list for $100. as is.

I disconnected the steering shaft and removed the dash/pedestal assembly. Frame had over 1" of dry dirt/nut shells from the engine all the way back to the BGB. There is a bunch of stuff froze up. Steering gear, lift shaft, clutch pedal and the front axle pivot. 1 front tire is 1" off the ground.

All the wiring is in good shape and un-butchered. The engine and starter/gen was stored in his garage. All the tires have good tread and hold air. Not much weather checking. The orange tiller and pulley set up should fit my 7112. Very little play in the BGB. There is a decal on the fender deck says HI-LO but it was removed a long time ago. Mower deck has some surface rust but is solid.

I'm sure glad that I have a torch, It has the 1 piece cast iron steering. I have the front axle assembly removed. When I worked on another Simplicity several months ago I bought 4 of the caged needle bearings for the steering. Wheel bearings are in good shape

Tomorrow I going to take the pan off the engine and Mic the rod journal. The PO also broke the emulsion tube.

The engine oil was very dirty but I miced the crank and came up with 1.3115. reject is supposed to be 1.3104 It should run good.

Very little paint left on the engine must have been black.

Ed; the Hi/Lo decals were on all the 2010/2012 tractors regardless of whether they actually had it or not...Dave

B10 Dave. I just assumed someone at a repair shop removed the HI-Lo for their own tractor.

:D Ed; my 2012 has the decal and the closest it has been to a Hi/Lo unit is the one sitting on the shelf awaiting a rebuild. Some day the decal will be accurate....Dave

• Who's Online (See full list)

• a_sannine
    • Snojetter
    • GregB
    • mbsengineer
    • Chris727
    • simplewrench
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts