Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 sickle

blangkabel

Today I hooked up my sickle mower and I have a question; How do you hook up the adjustment for the blade? There is the chain that keeps the blade up for transporting but once the chain is disconnected it is all the way down. I see on the driver left there is a place to connect to the lift and on the right there is a small pulley. I am sure there must be a cable that goes around that then to blade and the lift. I originally attached a cable around pulley then to the lift cable. Which I realized was wrong once I started to cut and I could not lift the blade at all. I looked at it for a bit but want to make sure I have it right as it is not the safest attachment in the world.

You need to replace the cable on the right side, it is something like 61"-62" needed to hook to the mower to raise it. Then to transport it the chain to pull it back to the tractor vertical.

I looked at the manual for the sickle and it looks like I am missing the bracket #50 on the drive assembly and the cover that goes over the belts. I will take some pictures tomorrow. Does anyone have a picture of that bracket and assembly? Wilm169 on the parts break down the cable is number 58, is that the cable that replaces the right side cable? Or does the 61" cable connect to the #58 cable? I cant think of a less confusing way to ask the question.

Would like to see pictures ,mine has hyd cyl to lift cutter bar. It does not lift vertical though. If I could get damn pictures to load I'ld show ya. Diagram in parts book is kind of confusing in my opinion

Yeah I agree parts diagram is confusing. Mine doesn't have a lift cyl. How is the belt changed "the one on the sickle itself". It looks like, at the least a bracket has to be removed from the "clutch type" pulley. I will post pictures tomorrow had a storm all day today.

Yeah we had bad storms during night, lots of rain and lightning. Mine is a Simplicity and looks as if all I'ld have to do is remove grease fitting to get belt off. If, I can get these damn pictures to load I'll post. Find it hard to beleive that everything I've tried ends the same, maybe just worn out computer

Lloyd; try e mailing your pics to yourself. If it asks you if you want to reduce the size check yes. Save pics in a file. You may have to rename them to remove spaces and anything other than letters or numbers in the file name. You should now be able to clic the paperclip icon and down load pics from that folder....Dave

That sucks you cant post those pictures. I will take and post some in a little bit and maybe you can help me figure this thing out.

They are not the best pictures but if you look at the first 3 pictures you can see how I ran the cable and the pieces that are missing. The second picture shows the idler pulley which the guy cranked tight which made the belt smoke due to pulley not spinning. The last picture is of the pulley I am not sure how to get belt off so I can replace it.

I Finally was able to use the sickle mower for a little bit today, after struggling to get the tensioner pulley to spin. I can't believe how well these things work. I was cutting 5' to 6' tall grass and it was taking it down with ease. I was cutting in a marsh which has very uneven terrain and I still don't have the blade able to raise so that makes it more impressive. I took some pictures I will post later. I ended up burning the belt to almost nothing the other day trying to figure this thing out. It turned out the tensioner pulley had seized, so today I was only able to cut for about 20 mins. before the belt gave up. Now I will have to try and figure out how to get the new one on and I also need to figure out the belt length as this one is completely stretched out. If anyone has the belt size for the small belt that moves the blade that would be great. 720nut is this the same sickle you have and if so can you tell me where and how the hydr. cyl. is connected. Is it a simplicity cyl. like the one used for the lift on snow blower?

Brent, mine is same as yours the little bracket that holds clutch is bolted in on mine ,just unbolt and remove grease fitting and you should be good to go. I looked at the belt and could not find #'s,2029056 per parts manual. looks like I might have to replace the belt.

I've got to replace clutch bearing in front clutch before I can do anything with it.

I've got pictures of mower and all my tractors just can't seem to get them to load?

The little bracket is #36 page 78 #2029055 and #40 is grease fitting.

Hope this helps I'll try again to get pics on

The cyl was the same as blade and snoblower but I changed to a longer cylinder 8 in. hoping to raise it more vertical but didn't seem to change much maybe just a little.

Plans were to remove loader so as to put mower on (loaders going back on 620)before bearing went out

hope it works/ apparently it didn't! I've only been able to post one time and isetta reduced them and returned them to me. DON"T KNOW !!!!

Well look at that; PICTURES!!! I bet your happy. Thanks for posting them. Now for some questions, what is the rod looking thing coming off the board? Also what is the purpose of the board? I had thought I would be to help guide material into cutters but since it is behind them that theory is shot. Also the cyl. that is on there looks smaller in circumference then say snow blower or dozer lift cyl. or does it just look like it in the picture? Did you weld another tap on that the hyd. ram connects to?

You betdOdsm03dOdsm01 I've tried everything but finally my little camera came thru.

It just helps direct the hay a way from the next cut line, same for the board, if it wasn't there hay would plug your next cut, if that makes sense

Cylinder is ruffly same size. It had a lift cyl for blade or blower but thought this one being longer would lift it to where i want but doesn't Been trying to fiqure a way to still use and maybe hinge so I can lift cutter bar vertical with a rod and nut like on a B Allis Chalmers

Yeah, you wouldn't beleive how good that makes me feel to finally be able to contribute something other than just words.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix L32 camera has provisions to reduce the picture without a lot of hassle, just had to get it fiqured out

Ok the board now makes sense. I did a bit of cutting with the sickle today "about an acre" but unfortunately the belt keeps coming off. It is the belt that goes from tractor to sickle, and is a new belt " an acre old". I adjusted the spring on mule drive and the belt gets somewhat tight but it will only stay on for about a min. or two then off it goes. I am curious if there is suppose to be a tab on the pulley which would help keep it on. Do you think the belt would have stretched that much? Since new, the belt never felt very tight, so I am thinking maybe the PO changed out the pulley to a smaller one. If that is not the case I am not sure what the deal is, the belt is 100 inch; that is the correct one, right?

Brent in your first set of pictures it looks as if your idler is not running as it should and is on top of belt. Look at mine it is running under the belt a at a slightly different angle. I don't believe you have enough tension on belt, so far I've not had any problems with it.

Drive belt #173461 / U4-41 is 99.5 in. I don;t know who makes or what U4-41 stands for don't have # on other belt, can get length if really needed.

Levi, do you have any pictures of the cable and hookups ?