Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 sickle

blangkabel

I took the pictures before I replaced the belts. When I took the picture the belt was not in place as it had come off the pulley. I replaced the drive belt with the correct size, so I am not sure what the problem is. I went out and took a look and the one thing I noticed is the pins that hold the mule drive to the tractor are worn quite a bit, so the mule drive has more movement then it should. I am not sure if that would cause the belt to come off but I am going to find out. It is weird that it was working so well then the belt just starts to jump off. The belt doesn't show any signs of wear at all so I don't think it would have stretched enough to cause this problem. However, I have been wrong before, once!

you mention pins, I bolt everything, beleive 1/2in bolts w/locknuts. Mine had pins to much movement. the only way to know is remove the play

without the board you would plug cutter bar unless you were extremely good and set it right on the cut each time

720nut, I cannot tell for sure but it looks like you have replaced your cutters/blades, how did you go about doing this. Mine are attached with rivet type hardware. Do you have to replace the bar or can they just be drilled out and replaced with bolts? I bought replacement cutters but wasn't sure how to go about taking the old ones off. Also, I am not sure why but my belt stayed on today and I managed to cut about 3 acres without it coming off. I will be replacing the pins with bolts as I could not find the correct size pins.

Brent the PO I bought it from replaced them with John Deere blades I beleive you've got to drill out holes once youe get blades off. remove your cutter bar and grind heads off rivets and drive them out really guite simple. If you check with a dealer close to you they should have bolts to replace or you can rivet them on again your choice. one of them crazy belt questions you may never really figure out

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time to post those. looks like you have some cool toys, love the truggy/buggy.

Brent I still haven't changed the cable yet, it still uses both lift cables to raise, then cyl lifts cutter bar about half way up.

I've got some mowing to do today and hope front clutch bearing will hold long enough to get it done. I'll try and take pictures

Well went and mowed and guess what, forgot XXXX cameraC. I will say it worked like a charmdOd,first that I've used it since I bought it

I really could not believe how good the sickle works. I have cut a bunch of saplings, thick stalked weeds, and everything in between. I do not have the lift cable or the board which would just improve on the function. I have a marsh on my property that dries up in the summer and when I cut that, the willows and weeds where 5-6 ft tall and the terrain is a challenge on its own. I cant say enough good things about the sickle.

Brent how does yours lift? I'm going to rework mine again and this time use the longer cable, going to make it and if it works I'll post pictures. I would really like to see pictures of one with the stock lift setup. Not going to remove the cylinder but make it so it will hinge when raised.

OK scrapped the cable idea, cut bracket off for cyl and made new one that allows me to lift cutter bar vertical and still use cyl when I let it down. Here's a few pictures hope you can see what I did.

sicklelift 001.JPG

sicklelift 002.JPG

sicklelift 003.JPG

sicklelift 004.JPG

57e0619900320_sicklelift001.JPG.4ef2306bc62c62d6118a190d74373d1d.JPG

57e061991bb5c_sicklelift002.JPG.3a78ab139c16b4977364c28533c173af.JPG

57e061993038e_sicklelift003.JPG.c147972784b859b970821a25f412c759.JPG

57e0619943d9c_sicklelift004.JPG.eecee5b77ac5f3a7af3d22bc2c483ac7.JPG

The only way mine lifts is by hand. I am in the process of making it work off a hyd cyl like yours. The only adjustment I did was put the skid plate on end off sickle at the highest setting.

I have mine set as low as it will go. This setup is working better than I thought it would only thing is once you raise cutter bar you've got to lift it by hand rest of way, minor inconveinuse. I was going to use a longer cable but no garantee it would work either.

This seup also allows the cutter bar to move up if you happen to hit something were before cyl had down pressure on bar not allowing it to move.

Some will say it's not right that it should be original, I agree but parts aren't available so you've got to do as you see fit. I use my tractors in my lawn business so they see guite a bit of use.