Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loud hydro whine

fishnwiz

Having an issue with hydro whine on 96 Broadmoor tractor. Changed fluids with little improvement. No performance issues at all with tractor even on an incline. Low hrs on tractor (240) but tractor was used with snowblower. Not sure if this was what caused excessive noise?

Can I use a hydro tranny from any Broadmoor of this time frame (90s)as a replacement? Do I need to have a concern with the noise or just learn to live with the whine seeing as performance of the tranny is not an issue ?

Thanks

Our 94 mowing broadmoor has whined ever since we got it. Don't know if that's good or bad though.

Whine is usually due to starvation/air in the system. That can come from restriction or low supply. When you changed fluids, did you change the filter as well? Did you purge the system? Each will have a procedure to purge the air out following a change/fill. Some are more picky than others.

There was no visible filter on this tractor. I did follow purge instructions but may need to try again!

I did try to purge again. There are two methods with one being to jack up rear and run foot pedal back and forth several times and other method involves disengagement of the hydro and then working the foot controls.

I tried the later method today and tractor seems to be a little less whiny.

I have spoken to several others (like Elliot) who own this same tractor and some say their tractors also whine so I am not sure if I am being critical of this noise or not.

Some are more whiney that others... That goes for the wife and the tractor:p

Usually there is a filter of some kind, even if it is a sump screen. I know a lot of lower grade Exmarks have that issue that drive around here, but it shouldn't be all that loud.

Hi,im in agreement on the whine? heres what id do drain some fluid out of the unit then strain it thru some white paper towels. if you see any sliver or brass looking stuff left in the towel. id say its bearing noise the brass is not that uncomon to see in the paper towel. in other words the brass is not the whine just the wear on the pump rotator blocks.