Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fitchnhunt

Hydro Fluid/Filter Change

fitchnhunt

Hi all....going to change filter and fluid on the tractor (Sovereign 7119). Simplicity filter 1650954 not available from local small engine shop. They said they could get me an Oregon brand filter. Went to Napa and picked up a Napa Gold FIL 1084. Manual says to use Type F ATF. Napa sold me Type FA. Any issues in using this filter and type of oil? Should I use something different? Thanks!

fitchnhunt

Thank you for the reply Ray! From what Napa said, Type FA is backwards compatible to Type F. I'm hoping that is the case. I work in the automotive field but that type I fluid I have no knowledge of or experience with. Thanks again!

alec
quote:Originally posted by fitchnhunt

Thank you for the reply Ray! From what Napa said, Type FA is backwards compatible to Type F. I'm hoping that is the case. I work in the automotive field but that type I fluid I have no knowledge of or experience with. Thanks again!

id="quote">
id="quote">walmart has type f . the napa guy that said that, was it the seasoned old guy who knows or the punk kid who is reading the computer ? sometimes they dont understand these old tractors . if it were me I would get the right stuff ( unless you plan on running it backwards .. snark snark :D )

fitchnhunt

Alec, he seemed to know what he was talking about since he was telling me about his older tractors. I get the feeling he was in the know. I still might opt to head to wally world and pick up the Type F anyway. I checked the fluid in the tractor presently and it is a dirty clear/tan color. The Type FA that I bought is red. Sound right?

spyder400k

Hi, yes type fa and f are useable fa is with the rust inhibator seeing how these units dont shift or have fiber disks in them you wont see any differance in how it works. i would use straight mercon type3 thats what i put in my stuff. if your fluid is clear and brown thats from heat. use can use a multi hydro fluid its same stuff but no dye or rust inhibtor.

sliderxc

tractor supply also sells oil made for Sundstrand hydro's tavellers makes it says Sundstrand hydro if it's not the oil I should be running please someone tell me and I will change it out

Kenh

Fom my time selling Chevron and Cenex oils, IMO, any good hydro stat oil will work. I have some hydrostat oil in my 7116 that have been in there for 6 or 7 years now. Works like a champ in hot or cold though when it's -5F or below it takes a bit to warm up and move at full speed. At -20F I can only get about 1/2 speed out of it. Nobody in their right mind moves snow at -20:D:D

Ken

Hotwire7434

I also used a Universal Hydraulic Tractor Fluid I bought at Oreilly Auto parts. On the back label stated a sub for Simplicity Multi Purpose Fluid. Been using it for month or so works great so far. Just my .02 dollars.

TimJr

The John Deere 316/318 tractors use the same family of hydro, and Deere stopped using ATF in the early 1990's. They recommend the Low Viscosity Hy-Gard trans/hydraulic oil like all the modern hydros use. From what I have learned, a good trans hydraulic oil is way better than ATF in a hydrostat. I have run either the LowVis HyGard or Kubota Super UDT in the Simplicity hydros for over 20 years. If you are not blowing snow, the regular HyGard or regular UDT is fine. Those oils can just be a little sluggish or cause noise if well below freezing.

mikemallan

how do you drain the hydraulic fluid when doing a oil filter and oil on the 9020......???i looked on the rear end housing and found no drain plug. i have a rear pto also...and can i break some fittings loose to get more of the old fluid out....this tractor aint seen any love in a long time.....blew a line on the loader and boy i was supprised how much crud and water and carmel coloring could be in one place...

Bill725

To answer Scott100's question, I have been running Amsoil Synthetic Hydraulic/Transmission Oil SAE 5W-30 in my Sovereign. The Amsoil eliminated initial cold (during winter months) start pump cavitation and transmission creep.