Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ray299

no power max PTO clutches... so how about a lathe?

ray299

Hi all, so I have a power max with a bad rear PTO clutch, after following a bunch of leads and making a few days worth of phone calls, I got no where. The biggest issue with this clutch is the id bearing is about 1.575 inches. Clutches today are sold in 1-1.125 inch id. WHat about putting this shaft in a lathe and turning it down to 1.125? Anyone ever try that? And anyone have a spare shaft I can experiment with? Thanks!

720nut

I personally don't see why it can not be done. I tore up a front bearing and have only found one beaaring that he's wanting $100 for, to much. I plan on doing the same just need time

ray299
quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

why not just make a new shaft?

id="quote">
id="quote">Thought about that but not sure how to make the splines on the motor side... Any suggestions?

phillobbezoo

I have 2 spare shafts and clutches but I would hate to part with them, I don't see why it wouldn't work tho people have gotten creative with the shafts

ray299
quote:Originally posted by phillobbezoo

I have 2 spare shafts and clutches but I would hate to part with them, I don't see why it wouldn't work tho people have gotten creative with the shafts

id="quote">
id="quote">Ya? What have people done with the shafts?

ray299
quote:Originally posted by 427435

Does the shaft transmit torque??

id="quote">
id="quote">Not much torque... Turns the gears in the rear PTO gear box... And that only turns a hydraulic pump.

midnightpumpkin

If you do a little searching, there is an easy bearing fix that does not involve modifying the shaft. This fix works for both the rear PTO clutch and the front clutch. It uses a readily available bearing and has been documented here and on other sites.

John U

ray299
quote:Originally posted by midnightpumpkin

If you do a little searching, there is an easy bearing fix that does not involve modifying the shaft. This fix works for both the rear PTO clutch and the front clutch. It uses a readily available bearing and has been documented here and on other sites.John U

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks John. I would be interested in bearing info possibly in the future... But right now its just the coil that is bad... My bearing is good...

ShaunE

Sorry I'm a bit late on this read. Here is what I posted on another site about what I had done to mine.

I rebuilt mine about five years ago.

I needed both bearings & just the "Field Assembly" for the clutch which was available @ Sandy Lake Imp. Part#-16521356

Small Bearing Part # - 176050 (NLA), Fedral Mogul # - X908-CC (Available), NAPA # - 6908VAL (Available).

Large Bearing Part # - 177960 Supersedes to 1663355. Buy it get it home & realize the inside race is wider than the outside race by approx .197". It is the only difference, but it crates too much of an air gap to engage the clutch when the switch is flipped.

I removed & disassembled it. I believe it was the shaft I placed in my lathe & machined the housing approximately .098" to seat the bearing in farther. It's been so long since I looked inside at it I really cant remember exactly what I machined down.

But it works like a dream.

I hope this helps.

ray299

Thanks guys! I brought the clutch to an electric motor place. They built me a new winding and out the clutch back together. They also put in a new larger bearing... Total cost was only about $150. I'm so happy to get this back up and running!