Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 brake band replacement or rebuild

Papermaker

Guys--

I know that brake band rebuild or replacement must be a common problem for 7117 owners (and other models) but I haven't been able find links covering band relining or replacement sources. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

--John

You can still buy new,

reline with leather belt would probably work, guys do it with the cone clutch,

or used.

For new, several of the site sponsors probably can get them or stock them, Sandy Lake Implement, Jacks, etc.

If you have a hydro, I may have a couple used in stock.

Dan--

Thanks for the info. Do you have a band that fits a 7117 that is very good condition?

Thanks,

--John

Brake band are not a common replacement. Especially on a hydro tractor. I have never replaced a brake band on any tractor including the gear shift tractors.

I suspect the parking brake was left on and the tractor driven, which would have worn the brake prematurely.

MikeES--

The friction material separated from band and then broke in half. I understand that a hydro seldom uses/needs the brake but I find locking the brake on hilly ground is a good idea.

--John

Papermaker, using the brake for parking is always a good idea. I would not have a tractor without a working brake. Myself and many others here have stories of hydro tractors (especially if stopped on any kind of slope) wandering off.

BTW the part number is 172236

On ebay there's a guy who sell new band linings for wheel horse tractors,clean the old one off and put the new one on with silicon adhesive,work great. I think the width is about the same length may by be a little shorter,probably work ok. Twenty dollars and a couple bucks shipping. Go to ebay type in wheel horse brake band.